Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1989 Isuzu Gemini Styling by Irmscher

1989 Isuzu Gemini Styling by Irmscher

This is my 1988-89 Isuzu Gemini Styling by Irmscher

Quite a rare car in Australia , maybe under 10 in the entire country . Only known one in Perth at the moment .

I got it real cheap about 4 months ago , as it had been crashed in the front and back but it was nothing that stopped it running good everyday of the week .. It had been Imported from Japan about 10 years or more ago... In Australia we only ever got an extremely low spec basic version of this chassis called "Holden Gemini RB" , fitted with a 1.5L a Carby 4XC1 motor and no electric windows , power steering , EFI or Turbo/Power/handling options like the I-Marks or Japanese Geminis.. So it was quite a score .. Since i have had it i hasn't missed a beat and is very comfortable to drive with the Recaros and power everything (nothing like my early RWD Geminis) ..

This is how it looked when i picked it up , handed over $600 and drove home.. (like a madman)

Front bumper is practically snapped in half and lower Irmscher lip is gone :cry:

The left hand headlight is smashed and the indicator cracked

Recaro seats are still ok , very dusty and a small worn part on the drivers seat

Alpine speakers still fitted , 2 seat rear.

Factory high/low selector 6psi /10psi .. Power feels to top out at around 5500 rpm - 6000rpm...

Standard engine bay in good working order .. 4XC1 1.5L Turbo

The rear bumper has been replaced once before , so no Irmscher Lower Lip again .. :cry:

This is the part i need to jack/pull out

I bought a pair of Holden Gemini RB bumpers and a bootlid for $100 , the front panel under the grille for $60 and a headlight for $150 .. Total $910 so far.
    Few weeks later i fixed the front end up quickly .

Damaged parts

Replacement headlight in

New trim panel fitted and grille and headlights lined up ok i guess

Standard Holden Gemini Bumper fit pretty well. Except side mounts were slightly differant

Sides were modified to use the Holden brackets .

From this angle it does need to be lowered :lol:

Made a small video ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We_1b8Xj8eM

So now i need to pull the boot area out , fit the bumper and respray the car in the standard dark blue as it faded all over the top..
    Then see how things go bit id like to lower it , try some other rims and fit a nice exhaust..

3/6/11 Jacked out the back tonight ..

Before

The setup

After

PARTS NEEDED
    Factory Momo steering wheel
    RH power window regulator
    Irmscher Front and rear lower lip spoilers
    Dash light dimmer dial (Lower RH side of dash under steering wheel on US models)
    Standard stereo and Graphic Equaliser

Re: My 1988-89 Isuzu Gemini Styling by Irmscher

The engine bay looks remarkably clean, all things considered. A very nice project indeed! It makes me happy to see a lot of activity in the Isuzu forum lately.

Re: 1989 Isuzu Gemini Styling by Irmscher

Rattle canned my good Rear bumper today , Was removing my shit one and one of the hidden nuts that is tab welded on came unstuck . so ill have to grind that bitch out ..

Today i messed around trying to fit my rear bumper , as it came off a 1985 Holden RB Gemini the bumper mounts were different from the jap model.. This meant i had to mess around trying various combos of the rear mounts to try and get it sitting as best as i could , i ended up removing a heap of plastic from inside the bumper ,

Moving the mounts inwards like this pulled the bumper up a lot closer to the body ,hiding the damage.

This closed up the gap left from me not pulling the back out underneath the boot.. Seemed to work but the whole bumper needs to be lifted about 5cm and the sides still need some work .. But its on for now , ill attack it again soon .

Re-fitted the Rear bumper and mudflaps today. Much happier with the gaps/alignment now .. Then gave the carpet and seats a good Vacuum .. Too good it seems as i sucked the trim off the LH rear headrest and now its all torn up .. Dam shit was faded and brittle .. Besides some fading and me wrecking the head rest the carpet and seats come up like new ..

Quote Originally Posted by Gem wrc
    Re-fitted the Rear bumper and mudflaps today. Much happier with the gaps/alignment now .. Then gave the carpet and seats a good Vacuum .. Too good it seems as i sucked the trim off the LH rear headrest and now its all torn up .. Dam shit was faded and brittle .. Besides some fading and me wrecking the head rest the carpet and seats come up like new ..
    Holy cow, you must have an awesome shop vac. :lol:

Its powerful yes . But the real cause was the sun damage the rear headrests had suffered , this made them very brittle .. I knew they were faded but didnt realise they were so brittle until it was too late .. I need 2 minor repairs to the drivers side Recaro Bucket seat so i will get the rear headrests repaired at the same time..

nice work, good to see a realitivly unloved car here in australia being giving the love it deserves! would be an awesome drive compared to the rubbish rb gemini we got!

So Today i got bored and decided i better give the Irmscher a service .. First was the plugs . Swapped the NGK BPR6ES plugs out for 7's hoping they would be better suited ..

Next was the Air filter . The one in it looked like it had been there a while and being an Japanese import there was no listed filter anywhere . So Odin Autos matched up one from a Mitsubishi Nomad which was near identical to the one needed for my Air box . I also squeezed in some pipe for a lil cold air feed to the front of the standard airbox.

Next was the oil , the windscreen had a oil change/service reminder sticker that had passed about 1000kms back (when i bought it) , good to know it had some love in its life , maybe even regular services !! I ran some oil flush though the motor at idle for 15mins then dropped the oil and removed the filter , to my surprise its the same oil filter as my RWD gemini's use , so i fitted a new one of those up .. Also i could see the starter motor was brand new while i was under there , and the cv boots looked new also.

Before i replaced the oil i wanted to paint the horridd valve cover , so some piping and my accelerator cable was removed . So far all the rubber hoses and pipes seem good and are not perished .

Being a lazy ass and not having a scotch brite pad to remove the old paint , i just cleaned it with some wax and grease remover and hit it with about 5 thick coats.

This is it a few hours later. I may have over done it.. Fitment tomorrow

All done .. Fresh after its first service.

Supra cooler may be too big