Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Might be getting a celica-supra, have ignition Qs

Might be getting a celica-supra, have ignition Qs

Long story short- I found an '85 supra L-type auto :roll: that the owner's willing to let go for $350. The only problem, aside from some rust, is it has no spark. The owner said he's owned the car for 17 years and drove it daily until it broke down.

He replaced some of the easy (cheap) stuff, like plug wires and coil pack, but still no spark. I've read that it could be the igniter ($$$), but I'm hopeing its something cheaper. :lol:

I'll probably go over and do some troubleshooting and testing in a few days so let me know if there's anything else I should test. I'll be testing the igniter and checking all the no-brainer stuff like grounds, connectors, ect.

Is the igniter (aka ignition module) prone to failure? I'm wondering if it would be worth to buy a used one from the junkyard to save some dough?

I would think that as long as the igniter checks out within spec it will be good to go with one from a junkyard. Check the online TSRM for specs

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/T ... x?S=IG&P=1

That is the link for the ignition section of the TSRM and should have all the stuff you are looking for. I don't think that the igniters are prone to failure, but they do go out. If you have some yards that have either some celica supras or cressidas, you should be able to find some igniters pretty easy.

One last thing, don't forget to check the fuses, both inside the car and in the engine compartment.

I'm pretty sure it's the igniter now. We have power going IN to the igniter, but no power coming out when the engine is cranked.

So I should be able to get an igniter off of anything with a 5mge right? Lets see that would be 83-88 cressi and 82-86 supra. I only know of one Mk2 supra in the area and no cressidas.... these things are getting rare around here.

Does the 7mge share any ignition parts with it's older brother the 5mge? Its seems like a Mk3 supra of mx83 would be easier to find around here.

is the distributor turned but the camshaft?
    is it turning?
    maybe it has a broken timing belt.

im having the same issue with mine... i tried to use an older nova ICM but it just effed somthing up now im getting no spark so now im trying to figure that one out...

good luck on figuring it out brewski

I would think that if the plugs going to the igniter are the same that you could probably use a 7M igniter on a 5M engine. I can possibly try later today and let you know.

Alright I was looking at some on ebay and it looks like the changed the igniter design in '84. Old version igniters look like a box where new version igniters like mine have 4 molded in studs for screwing the coil on. One ebay listing shows igniter compatability for '84-'92 supra and '85-'92 cressida, so if those #s are right, then 7m igniters should work.

Sounds right. The other way to check is copy the part numbers on the top of the igniter down and see if they match when you get to the junkyard. I did not get a chance to get over to the shop and try the swap on the igniters myself.

Yeah I've been meaning to grab the igniter and take it with me but I keep forgetting whenever I go look at the car. :roll:

You don't by chance have an '85 igniter you could grab the #s off of do you? :lol:

Anyway, tomorrow I'll probably calling up every junkyard in a 50 mile radius and then hopefully if I find my part I can get the car running and drive it home Tuesday. I'm really starting to love this car, even if it is an l-type and auto! :mrgreen:

Hey, I have a spare Igniter (coil+brick). But you will need to splice your old plug/socket (solder and heat shrink). The story was, I was having problem not getting spark. I was so sure it was the igniter, so I bought another one from someone. And I was still having problem (I should have checked voltage like you did). It was my relay as it turned out. Let me know if you are interested. I paid $35 shipped for the igniter. Will sell it to you the same price also. If you want pics, i can take a pic in the morning.

Here is my 85 :P. And if you go to celicasupra.com, my username is denvermk2.