Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki, Mitsubishi Urged to ‘Forget America’ as Sales Slump

Suzuki, Mitsubishi Urged to ‘Forget America’ as Sales Slump

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... E3j.8n71UQ

July 10 (Bloomberg) -- Suzuki Motor Corp. and Mitsubishi Motors Corp., suffering from plunging U.S. sales and excess North American plant capacity, may have to quit the market after a quarter century.

Suzuki, Japan’s fourth-largest carmaker, reported a 78 percent drop in unit sales in June, pushing its first-half decline to 60 percent, the market’s worst. Mitsubishi is down 51 percent this year, and is stuck in a slump that began in 2003.

Both carmakers “should withdraw from the U.S.,” said Yuuki Sakurai, chief executive of Tokyo-based Fukoku Capital Management Inc., which oversees about $10 billion in Tokyo. “It’s time for them to decide whether they pay a high price to continue business there or stop the bleeding.”

Or maybe Mitsubishi shouldn't ask $30-40k for their cars that people want to actually buy, and Suzuki should make cars that people want to buy?

My immediate thought was that the only companies not desperately trying to tread water to survive, were the companies not selling cars in the US. For Fiat and several of the others who haven't been in the US for decades, it's expansion time. They are buying up the ones in the US market.

Administrator
    Mitsubishi has been struggling for years. The bad news is that it's true even for Japan. Suzuki is strong because of kei car sales at home, but there's no market for it in the rest of the world.

The US has managed to kill off/merge automakers until the final Big 3 (and for a while, Big 2.5). Seven automakers from a country the size of California doesn't make much sense. I love me some old Mitsus and this would sadden me greatly but it may be for the best/inevitable.

the suzuki kei cars sells like hot cakes here..
    the wagon R family is the market leader in the 1ltr kei car class..

the carry kei truck is still sold here n remains using the same engine as the same engine that the initial model got..its the same engine for like over than 20 years..
    still it is by far the 1 ltr truck leader here..

the swift is the 2nd best selling 1.5ltr class after the jazz / fit
    not to mention the other models suzuki indo have to offer...

i dont know about other market..but from what i see the suzuki is doing just fine here..
    not to mention the suzuki 2 wheels / bike sales..

fyi.. i have been a suzuki car salesman too before switching to mazda

:lol:

yea i drove by our local Suzuki dealer the other day. They have 4 cars left on the lot. Mitsu isn't much better. But really other than the EVO there is nothing special coming from that company right now. I'm a DSM fan and would hate to see them leave, but I think it would be for the best for them. Get out while the company is still afloat, or die here.

They could open up the minitruck market more here in the states..

I know out here they are legal, I want one but lol

Administrator
    That's true, they sell great home grown pickups in the UK and elsewhere... but in the US they have a rebadged Dodge. What gives, trying to save on shipping?

The US market does not want minitrucks (although I saw what I think was a Dihatsu on a trailer with a skid steer the other day)

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth
    The US market does not want minitrucks (although I saw what I think was a Dihatsu on a trailer with a skid steer the other day)
    The US market is brainwashed into not wanting minitrucks (kei cars, etc). Too many years of Bigger is Better!

I'm probably in the minority here, but I say let them jack up the price of gas to $10 a gallon, then we'll all be changing our outlook and wanting/demanding/driving mega mpg vehicles instead of gas guzzlers and monster trucks. :roll: