Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do for security?

What do you do for security?

I know that if someone wants your car, you can't stop them unless you are sitting there guarding her with a shotgun in hand. :twisted:

But I was just wondering what you guys do to increase security for your beloved cars.

I know we can do hidden fuel pump cuts for newer cars with electronic fuel pumps. But what about cars with manual fuel pumps?

Alarm systems are kinda useless. Steering wheel locks? Pedal locks?

Any suggestions?

Re: What do you do for security?

I removed the locks, and the top. I also added an electrical cutoff thats very obvious. I figure if someone really wants the car, they will take it even if its got an alarm, is locked with the top on it. It really doesn't matter. That said, I never keep anything of worth in the car, and obviously don't bother to lock it.

I rarely lock my Alfa either. If someone wants the stereo in it, they can have it. It will cost less to replace the stereo than it will to replace a window they break.

Will

My car still has the auto selector switch in the centre console from when it was converted to manual, I just use that as a killswitch :P

Quote Originally Posted by Rad2Ltr
    I removed the locks, and the top. I also added an electrical cutoff thats very obvious. I figure if someone really wants the car, they will take it even if its got an alarm, is locked with the top on it. It really doesn't matter. That said, I never keep anything of worth in the car, and obviously don't bother to lock it.

I rarely lock my Alfa either. If someone wants the stereo in it, they can have it. It will cost less to replace the stereo than it will to replace a window they break.

Will
    just hope they are smart enough to try the door first.

I have kill swtiches alarms, removable steering wheel.
    but still a flat deck could come load it up and know one would stop them.

pete

I plan to make a hidden switch for the starter relay.

And maybe a diy level alarm, if the car is moved or touched roughly, the alarm is triggered.

Right now, nosey neighbors work very well. I also keep it looking like a piece of crap, that helps Eventual plans are for a large garage to store both toys and the wife's car. At that point, kill switches and fuel cut-offs will also play into it. Besides, who would want a junky old toyota station wagon :wink:

Couple of other things you can do with old cars are to remove the distributor rotor and remove the wire from the coil to the distributor (sometimes it's just spade terminals on both ends anyway). Just make sure you don't lose them!

Or alternatively, you can also have dummy-wires. Say you have a random wire coming out of the loom, it's taped into the loom and everything, but isn't connected to anything. Plug that into say the coil, and tuck the real coil wire out of sight (or plug it into a relay or something nearby that's also a decoy). On a visual inspection, everything will look copecetic but it won't start.

It won't stop anyone really determined to get your car, but it will probably foil the opportunistic thief that isn't familiar with old cars
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.

I figure few people know how to drive a stick, so that limits the amount of car thieves able to steal a car. You could have an alarm system that disconnects your starter if it gets broken into. My brothers supra has that, not sure how it works, anyone care to fill me in?

viper alarm + quick release with hub lock

if someone really wants it, they will find a way to take it. i find keeping the car in the garage with a big dog helps too :mrgreen:

I live in Japan. Neko.