Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1972 Toyota Carina TA12, lets build a 2TG for it.

1972 Toyota Carina TA12, lets build a 2TG for it.

Hi you all

I am JW from holland, discovered this nice site & forum of JNC and suscribed here to show you my work on a heavily abused Toyota Carina TA12. It had been parked in a shed for over 20 years, and when it came out an artist covered the vehicle all over with acryllic paint :?
    Discovered the carina in this painted state, looked at it, loved the car right away. Unfortunately in our country rusting is a major problem, so there has te be done a lot of work on the body. Car is in my possesion for 1 and a 1/2 year, and did in meantime a considerable amount of work.
    At this moment i am working on the panels, welding and soldering the dents.
    Engine is ready, rebuilt the rotted 2T with a donor 2T-B engine so increased the power some, but not enough for me, some further mods should achieve 130HP or so. Increased CR and valve-lift, enlighted valve-train, improved the mechanism, added 2 mikuni-solexes and manifold from a 2T-G engine.

Here a before-after of the engine:

Body hangin in a diy "roast" suspend

Btw drive a small Starlet EP71 too every day!

Re: Carina 1972 rebuilding

welkom here, post some pic's of the car when it had the paint on.
    mooi werkt to zo ver :tu:

That engine looks great.

Keep us updated!

Thanks

Matter of fact allways my dream to restore a car sometime. Now i do.

Yes did my best on the HEMI engine, i like the style of it, the robust built and layout of it all. The cross flow head with V-shaped valve setting is rather big, flowed and ported it for better flow.

Some other pics/vids:

Here you see the car being treated with acryllic paint for publicitairy reasons at a motorshow:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36FHwPvP9pA

After that it stood at the art gallery for allmost a year where i discovered it. After the "deal" the artpiece being moved to my residence

Delivered on his new home, the garage where the body still hangs now for restauration.

Rotating body in the garage, on floor the Mig welding machine i bought for restauration.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/skarsnuten7 ... pphbpl-dU8
    The body is from rear to the bulkhead ready, new fender rims rear, welded holes, new rockers (made a L and R from 2 new Left rockers, but for a 4 seater) and much more welding i cannot remember.

Oh yes, the subframe under radiator is completely reconstructed by myself out of 1.5mm steel sheet!:

The old vs new; old had a rather swiss-cheese appearance

Again before-after pics:

Lamp brackets:

Sand blasted them, painted in Zinc primer, painted with a bristle in high-gloss black, polished the Stainless rims.

Treated all the different parts like that, such as the shocks, suspension parts, subframe, rear axle, revised the transaxle, radiator, wiper mechanism, etc etc. and stocked them in my garage in labelled boxes awaiting re assembly.

The 4 shifter T40 tranni will not be used, found a 2nd hand T50 and overhauled it, changed 1 noisy bearing.

Reassembled the engine: (8 cil LOL!)

Improved the valve rocker mechanism with clamps instead of springs, lathed and drilled the clamps myself.

Increased valve lift 1mm by means of modifiing the rocker arm profile to the valve stems:

And added the mikunis, here you see the flow/port job also:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3HMDrmUrSY

And dec. 31st 2010, i tested the engine and it started right away!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVBIObam_DE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBROxTlS ... re=related

Very nice work.

I can't see all the pics right now, but the before and after of that engine makes me want to give you a hug. :lol:
    Great attention and work :tu:

Thanks!

I am rebuilding it with lowest budget as is possible, so do allmost everything myself. Mikuni's with manifold where only 80$ or so, and had to fit it to the 2T head.
    Have a 6mm aluminium sheet for amplifier front projects left over, and jig-sawed an adapterplate for the manifold to head. A mikuni to 2T-C manifold can be purchased on the web, this would rise the costs, the adapter works very fine.

Are you a machinist by trade?

That work on the adapter plate is very nice.
    The quality is far better than I could do.

Yes educated as fine metal machinist indeed, but stopped after only 2 years, have two jobs now, in medic and in a para medic/commercial sector.

Have a small lathe in garage and drilling machine, with X-Y support for small milling products. Milled on that machine 2 roll center adjusters.

For the carb adapter a saw for wood is used, but with metal saw. After that the holes are drilled and chamfered for bolts, allen key boltheads are lathed to fit. Big holes are drilled with a big wood drill. The outline of adapter is machined with a cabled dental tool i have, sort of Dremel hand drill but with a lot more power and two quick change chucks.

The source for raw materials is the metal scrap yard, they know me there by now, for a few bucks a 70cm block alu, round material for the head clamps can be had.

This is the only way to reduce costs, diy allmost everything after a lot of research on the web, books etc.

Great DIY work...!