Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cressida lowering help

cressida lowering help

Hi, I'm new here. I own an ae86 and a 1984 mx-63L cressida. I know there is a cressida forum but it is impossible to register at. I have seen the 83 build on here (looks great btw) but I need more info. I would like to get about 2-3 inches lower. Has anyone used lowering springs for other cars in their cressidas? I have tried other toyota forums but no one seems to know anything about this year as it has independent rear suspension. Thanks for looking!

I am curious myself. 8)

I was thinking air bags would be the only way to go... :?

I think finding air ride suspension for an 84 cressida might be very difficult as well.

Most of the better air ride stuff is custom anyway... :P

And that's why I am interested in other options, as you are. 8)

x6 with IRS?! Weird, lucky Canadians!! It prolly has a similar rear suspension to the x73 then. If that's the case, get lowering springs for an mk2 supra.

A 1.5" lowering spring for an mk2 is going to be about a 3"-4" lowering spring on a cressida, so keep that in mind!!

Thanks for responding! So the extra weight of the cressida makes the springs sit a lot lower? Can I use the MkII supra lowering springs in the front and the back? What shocks should I use with the MkII supra springs? My main goal is to improve cornering and lower the center of gravity without sacrificing too much of the ride quality, so race stiff coilovers are not an option.

Your oem struts should be ok with supra springs, but I'd take the bump stops out or cut them down alot shorter. MK2 springs are just alot shorter overall then cressida springs, so even an oem supra spring would lower your car a bit, but it would be too soft a ride in my opinion.

I bought mk2 Suspension Techniques (Bell Tech in Canada?) springs for my x73 and they ride well. They are a bit stiffer spring rate, but definately not track stiff. If you want a comfortable ride, they'd be perfect in my opinion, about as close to oe ride quality as you can get with 3"-4" of drop, lol. (note: I cut like 2.5 coils out of mine and they still run great, lol).

If you want to upgrade your struts too you can get sw20 rear strut cartridges for the front (kyb makes the agx adjustable strut for this application), but they are a shorter stroke, and your strut housing would require modification.

For the rear you can get Ford Focus shocks or late '80s Camaro shocks. Both are a shorter stroke then oem, and a few companies (like kyb) make an adjustable option. Or if you want it really stiff (which it doesnt sound like you do, lol) there should be a monotube option for the camaro also!

Quote Originally Posted by shane_lxi
    x6 with IRS?! Weird, lucky Canadians!!
    99% sure all the '83s and '84s were IRS. Canada and US. :wink:

The '83 I'm buying is a Texas car, and is IRS. :tu:

In fact...

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In 1983, the Cressida was refreshed and gained an independent semi-trailing link rear suspension, rear solid disc brakes, and the 5M-GE engine. The technology came from the Toyota Supra parts bin with a few minor differences.

^ never even knew! Good to know. Also... you're getting a cress?! When did all this happen?!