Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What DSLR Camera should i buy ?

What DSLR Camera should i buy ?

Ok so Ive been doing a lot of research lately looking for a DSLR camera around th 500$- 800$ price range. I had it narrowed down to two :
    Nikon D5000

Pentax K-r

The Nikon got discontinued in the past couple moths so im really ready to get the Pentax but would like some opinions.

Im mostly gonna be using it to take pictures of my kids, cars, anything interesting, I really want to get into it. My girlfriend is an Art major, so im kinda looking for something to do to keep up with her ! lol

Let me know what you think

Ps
    I have no experience using a camera except on my iphone haha

Pentax is so sexy

If you are down to those two, take the Nikon. Nikon and Canon are the only two brands I personally would buy.

Are you at all open to pre-owned? for that budget you could probably get into a clean used Nikon D200 or D300?

I'd take a used "professional" camera over a new "consumer" camera any way. and usually do. :P

I carry a D200 and a D300. And now that there are plenty of used D700s on the market, I may replace the D200 soon... :P

I would agree with the Nikon and Canon statement (though I personally prefer Nikon

The reason isn't personal though, it's the fact that those two have the most support. Not only can you buy their lens, the main lens manufactures (Sigma/Tokina/etc) make them for those brands as well. So you end up with much more lens options. Anyone I know who bought other brands and became really avid photographers either switched to Nikon or Canon and/or wish they had bought one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by KC30
    I would agree with the Nikon and Canon statement (though I personally prefer Nikon

The reason isn't personal though, it's the fact that those two have the most support. Not only can you buy their lens, the main lens manufactures (Sigma/Tokina/etc) make them for those brands as well. So you end up with much more lens options. Anyone I know who bought other brands and became really avid photographers either switched to Nikon or Canon and/or wish they had bought one of those.
    Plus at this point in time you can pick up a Canon Rebel XSI for about $500-600 now. I recently got a Canon Rebel T2i, could have gotten just a XSI, but I wanted to take video as well.

Quote Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    Are you at all open to pre-owned? for that budget you could probably get into a clean used Nikon D200 or D300?

I'd take a used "professional" camera over a new "consumer" camera any way. and usually do. :P

I carry a D200 and a D300. And now that there are plenty of used D700s on the market, I may replace the D200 soon... :P
    I am just was kinda weary about buying a used camera because i don't know much about them, so i wouldn't be able to tell if certain things would be wrong with it. I'm not sure if a professional camera would be to much for me, would a beginner like me be able to pick and use ?
    That being said do you have a ballparck price and time frame when you would want to sell? pm

Quote Originally Posted by KC30

Yea that was one of the pluses for the nikon, the lens support!

And i just found the Nikon D5000 back at bestbuy on sale for $599!!

Im going to Los Angeles this weekend for the Art in the streets show and i might have to make a decision by then... Ill let you guys know what i get !

I'd be going the Nikon or Canon route as well.

I know one of the top rally photographers here in Australia and asked him what he thought was the best brand. His answer was Nikon even though he uses Canons. He said the reason why was because the software and technology was better than any other brand. The reason he didn't swap to Nikon was because he started of with Canon and it would cost too much to swap and that the lenses were interchangable between the Canons which I think is also true with the Nikons.

I think you can't go wrong between the Nikon or Canon.

I'm thinking of getting my first DSLR and have my eye on either the D5000 or the D3100 which I think is the replacement for the D5000
    http://www.nikon.com.au/pagearticle.php ... a59169119a

Nath

I'm thinking of getting my first DSLR and have my eye on either the D5000 or the D3100 which I think is the replacement for the D5000
    No it isn't. The D5100 is the replacement for the D5000.

http://www.nikon.com.au/productitem.php ... f4320ceaf9