Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your Daily Driver?

What's your Daily Driver?

I know most of you probably don't drive your nostalgic car every day (especially you northerners!). And if you do, then more power to you! But I'm curious what you drive to work, down to the supermarket, on road trips, or even for fun.

Personally, I'm looking to get an used Integra or a Scion xB as a daily driver. Gas is just too expensive! Not to mention that old cars have none of the safety features of modern vehicles. The other car in our stable is the Cressida wagon, which is great for hauling stuff when we go on photo shoots.

A few days ago I bought a '84 Silvia S12 with the FJ20E motor. It has 250k kilometres (155k miles) on the clock, but who cares? The car will come with a crapload of spare parts (including a 50k km/31k mile FJ20, which I will eventually swap into my 240Z). It should arrive in a few days, I'll post up some pictures shortly.

Currently this 1982 Colt Galant 1600 GL:

80s Japanese cars make excellent daily drivers! This one strikes an ideal balance for me, it is comfortable, drives well and its total blandness and rarity in the UK actually makes it considerably more interesting to me than most new car choices. Cost me 350, I imagine some people pay more for the deposit on a new car!

I'll be doing about 10-15K miles a year in it, I'm confident that it will be mechanically good enough to withstand it, but if say the engine blew up I'd just use it as an excuse to put something cooler in it. And being an older car, it is very easy to service and look after. Fuel consumption seems pretty good, but I don't really pay much attention to that. And finally, since it isn't in perfect condition, I can do some bodywork on it. Then I feel like I am constantly improving the condition of the car, but I'm not too paranoid about scraping it, whilst gaining some skills/experience in the process!

Then there's those dishy wheels in the corner of the room, Japanese-market bits to investigate, period Mitsubishi bits to snap up, etc. It's not as unusual or treasured as my Charmant, but certainly a lot more fun than owning something "ordinary".

ae101 1991 toyota levin 1.6 20v. black, 15'' works

I daily drive my 2007 Honda Fit/Jazz sport with a five speed manual tranny. It reminds me a lot of the 88-91 Civics that I loved so much-especially my Wagovan. It's great on gas, is certified as low emissions vehicle and is still reasonably fun to drive.

'92 SC 300 5-spd. It drinks premium like it's free, but I keep telling myself that some day when I put a 1JZ in there it'll make up for all the car's shortcomings.

I drive this:

1997 DC2 Integra Type R, Jap spec model. It doubles as my track hack as well! Now has 16" Slipstreams (Spoon SW388 replicas) and rides on Koni yellows with Neuspeed springs, adjustable camber, urethane bushes, usual I/H/E mods blah blah blah. Next port of call is adj. camgears and an AFC so I can tune the flatspot out of it, for what I hope will result in a far stronger midrange

Most of the year I drive my Subaru 360 daily. I really never go far so it works out well.

For the past week or so it's been bad here in PA, icy and TONS of salt on the road so I've been driving my 91 suburban. I don't really like to drive it too much at 10 mpg around town. It's the trailer hauler/stuff mover/ sacrificial winter ride. It's got 225,000 miles and rust holes big enough to stick your whole arm through.

My daily driver is my beater '71 510...

07 Corolla S with the jdm tail lights and shark fin added