Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Once more into the abyss She is on the road now

Once more into the abyss She is on the road now

Ok, bought a 76 RA29 about 3 years ago. Started in on the build and got distracted. First was MkII Supras and then that led to Cressidas, specifically, the MX73 chassis. Well, I sold off both of my sedans(kept the wagon... I am not a complete idiot :lol: ) and started to look for something to replace them. After a couple of weeks of soul searching and what not I decided I needed to quit looking and get focused on the Celica. I went on Rock Auto and went on a spending spree. To that end, I got the first of the three boxes today.

New brake hoses for the front, upper and lower.

New cap, rotor and PCV valve

New clutch master and slave cylinders. I have two more parts cars, both 5 speed, but these were so stupid cheap, I had to buy them.

Last but not least, rebuilt calipers, one loaded, one not. Unfortunately, they only had one loaded caliper. Otherwise I would have bought two.

The front struts are broken down right now. The tubes are being de-rusted by electrolysis right now with the backing plates, springs and other bits to follow this weekend.
    I have AE92 strut inserts coming for when I chop the springs. Ran by the local dealer today and ordered NOS dragons and script emblems. Still have valve cover gasket, Plugs, wires, radiator hoses and gaskets headed my way.

Rather than search for the thread, this is how she has looked for the past couple of years or so.

Wheels right now are going to be cressida steelies. That may change later, but it all depends on getting a 5 lug conversion done. To that end, I am also picking up a MkI Supra rear in the next week as well.

Glad to hear you're putting in some work on this. :tu: :mrgreen:

You sold the factory 5 speed X7?

Yeah, it came down to keep the wife happy or live in the shed. She wanted me to sell the celica I am down to two cars and that makes her happy. The kid who bought the 5 speed is going more VIP-ish with it. He also has a TE27 and some other toyotas, so that at least is a silver lining. The kid who bought the 86 auto is going drifting with it. Got the strut tubes de-rusted and painted. AE92 Corolla short shocks are on their way to me. Gonna buy some shorter stiffer springs for it this week as well. Scored at the junkyard today. Got a full set of KYB AGX adjustables off of an RX7. Figure I will sell the fronts to one of the 240 crowd around here and see if I can fab something up for the rear of the Celica.

Here we go, start with one of these.

Take it completely apart and dunk it in this.

Attach one of these.

Wait a day or so and pull it out(okay, I pulled mine out and it prompty rained on me and it. When it comes out of the solution, it should be uniformly black and mine was.

Attack it with some of these.

Till it looks like this

Paint it right after to prevent rust from reappearing.

Both have since been painted semi gloss black with engine enamel. The dust shields and spring tops have been painted as well. The calipers in the first post are going to get a coat or two of silver caliper paint as I don't want two different colored calipers. I thought of painting them red and then writting Brembo with a black sharpie on them for giggles. The strut inserst(AE9x) should be here by the end of the week.
    Plan right now is to have them back together and installed by sunday. I will definitely get some pics when they are back together to give a before and after comparison.

Oh yeah, helper cats are optional :mrgreen:

First off, nothing better than NOS... fresh off the boat.

Second, spent the better part of today getting the front suspension back together. New calipers, pads, got the rotors turned. Bearings were good enough that I just cleaned and repacked them.

Hubs were the only thing I did not do anything restoring wise to. Just wire brushed them a bit and that was it. Reman calipers and new pads with the sensor bit and everything.

The strut inserts are out of an AE9x corolla with the springs cut 2 coils.
    Here is me doing the suspension work...

There are cast iron pipe spacers at the bottom of the strut tubes. I have a buddy at work that is going to mill me some spacers when I get him the aluminium stock.

Gonna get the struts on tomorrow night and get the car back on four wheels and not the hillbilly jackstands it has been on for the last 2 years or so.

New height for the front, 15 Cressida Steel wheels...

Classic 'hard parking' stance

Still need to drop the rear a bit. I am figuring 2 coils from the rear as well.

Okay, a little bit more work done tonight. This X2...

Equals this...

Fender gap is a bit better now. I may still take another coil out of the rear yet, haven't really decided.

The tire is not centered, due to needing either a shorter or adjustable panhard bar in the back. Once that is straightened out the tires should sit better in the rear.
    Oh yeah, I also put an extra script emblem on to see what they looked like. Definitely glad I grabbed a couple, cause they look soooooo much better than the block script that is there. Nicest thing, they fit right into the same holes!!!

Still haven't decided on the tires... the original owner called the other day and he had found the rims he bought for the car... American Racing Libres 14x8 or something like that, he wasn't sure. It would be cool to have the libres. Of course, I could turn around and sell them to the 510 crowd...

WOWaWEEWA!!!!!!! I love it! :P

Looking nice , can't wait to see the final project. Keep up the good work.