Thread: Roadster Vin questions

Roadster Vin questions

OK, so my Vin plate in my roadster has been so faded, i cant see what it says. Can anyone help. How many digits do they have. It is a short window but im not exactly sure on year. Where are the other locations on the car that the vin might be located? Here are a couple pictures of the car when i first got it. I would show a picture of the vin plate but it is basically a blank piece on metal. It does have some numbers etched in but it doesnt seem like enough for a Vin.

SPL311 ?????

VIN is stamped on the frame rail, driver's side, just in front of the upper control arm

go here for a picture:
    http://www.datsunroadster.com/INFO_PAGE ... ur_car.htm

That looks like a 1965 Fairlady so the Tag might be SPL310.
    My 1964 Fairlady Vin Tag was SPL310,

Probably not a 1965 SPL310, as it is missing the external trunk hinges. As alvin mentioned, the Vin can be found:

Thanks guys. I will check it out tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by skyrine
    Can anyone help. How many digits do they have.

It does have some numbers etched in but it doesnt seem like enough for a Vin.

SPL311 ?????
    This should help. Itís a breakdown of roadster vins by year & by numeration. There are also a few other links that might be helpful with any other questions related to roadsters.

http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.p ... VINNumbers

Here is a picture of my SPL310 vin plate just in case yours might look like this. If you look closely you can see the last digit of the year stamped on the tag.

Couldnt find it on the frame rail, but the picture helped, i have been able to decipher the etchings on the plate and figure out the Vin, assuming the first 6 digits are SPL311. It seems to be 67, although i am still trying to figure it out. It has the 1600 gauges. So i believe it is a 67 spl311. But we will see

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by skyrine
    Couldnt find it on the frame rail, but the picture helped, i have been able to decipher the etchings on the plate and figure out the Vin, assuming the first 6 digits are SPL311. It seems to be 67, although i am still trying to figure it out. It has the 1600 gauges. So i believe it is a 67 spl311. But we will see

Thanks guys.
    You might need a wire brush to clean the crud off. The frames are all hand stamped so sometimes the stamping isn't very deep. The ID plates can be replicated so they aren't that important. Heck mine isn't even for my car (came off my parts car since the one for mine is totally blank aside from the stamped #s. Not even a hint of paint/ink.)

Will

Makes sense. I will continue looking for it. But i do know it hasnt been changed as my boss is the original owner, but it would be nice to find the frame stamp anyway.