Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name that car...

Name that car...

A little background. This car sits at the autobody shop directly next door to where I work. One day a couple of years ago I spotted it and went out to look at it more closely. The owner of the shop happened to be outside and he explained to me that the car was brought in by the owner for some sort of repair a few years previous, but the guy passed away while the car was there. He had attempted to track down the family, but as the car is still there I doubt that he was sucessful.

He said it was an old Toyota that had been transformed into an electric car. Note the nose, it appears to be from a Triumph TR-7 and there are also "winglets" on the tops of the rear fenders. One of the pics shows the meters and gauges for the electrical current and one pics shows the "outlet" on the front right fender.

I believe it's a 1969-ish Corona, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

Re: Name that car...

Quote Originally Posted by SE-RMonkey
    I believe it's a 1969-ish Corona, but I'm not sure. Any thoughts?
    It is. 1969 Toyota Corona hardtop. Awesome cars. :tu:

That one kind of got ruined. :?

Quote Originally Posted by Sexy Hammer
    There's no kind of about it. That thing is straight fucked.
    Considering that Pennsylvania is in the "salt belt", the damn thing looks like it's in really good shape, except for the obvious.

Never, never, never do you see Japanese cars of this vintage around here. I should drop in over there and see if he'd consider selling it.

Hey, if you could find a Corona front clip somewhere, that car could be made whole again. :tu:

And an electric JNC would be bitchin'. :P

Quote Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    Hey, if you could find a Corona front clip somewhere, that car could be made whole again. :tu:

And an electric JNC would be bitchin'. :P
    Exactly, although I sorta like the TR-7 clip. I lusted over those as a kid. Now if I could just talk the wife into it.....

If I remember correctly the owner of the body shop said that something in the electric set-up was cooked and that the part was no longer available. I should really go over there and talk to him.

Did some one say 'find a front clip'? Done...

Quote Originally Posted by OkieRA29
    Did some one say 'find a front clip'? Done...

Great, you guys are going to get me into trouble. If the wifey throws me out somebody has to put me up for a while. :lol:

I get an hour for lunch on Friday's. I'll head over and see if I can get more info on it, maybe take some better pics if he'll let me.

Quote Originally Posted by SE-RMonkey
    Based on this front end conversion I dont think I'd want to find out what they concocted with high watt electicals. :shock:

I say offer the body shop guy $500 for this molested shell and see where that takes you. :tu:

Quote Originally Posted by Sven7
    I say offer the body shop guy $500 for this molested shell and see where that takes you. :tu:
    Well, depending on if the bodyshop owner ever got in touch with the family he may not have the title. PA can be a bitch with titling/ownership paperwork, SO I'll first try to get the story and then ask what he'd take for it. He may just want it gone.

This morning I called the bodyshop and detail shop both in the same complex and got the answering machine at both numbers. Waiting for a return call.....