Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: California kenmeri!

California kenmeri!

Hello,
    i own a 77 kenmeri with all the bells and whistles for street racing in japan...but i know it won't pass smog in California. The car has been in my garage since I left japan and I illegally drove it to a car show a year ago...but the car is not registered. Can anyone help me or guide me in the right direction to get this RHD on the road legally?

I have the same issue with my '77 (actually 76 build date) Kenmeri. I have been going through this process for about 2 years with a BAR referee.

Send me a PM and I can help you out. Long and the short is you will have to swap in a US engine from a '77 or later 280z or 280zx (need the F54 block). All emissions will have to be transfered as well. From that point on it will smog as that year engine.

Also, make sure you have all the paper work from Japan, you will need to have the CHP verify the VIN number and the only document they will accept without questioning is the shipping documents when you deregistered it in Japan before it left.

Chris

are you planning on staying in ca? if not i wouldnt bother you are gonna have a hard time getting the car smog legal you will, but it will take alot of time i had lots of problems with a 77 a freind of mine had a while back car went to tennesee due the smog issue,and yes you will have to install a motor and all smog equipment from a 77 260z or 810 no fun...

engine swap?!!!

I do plan on staying in California for the time being, at least until i finish school. I guess; being optimistic, I could put a turbo rebuilt L28 in the car- but I really like the engine in it now! -crap
    I really can't afford a daim engine swap right now...so I guess I'll just keep it clean and stored for now.
    Chris, I thought your car was legal? you have plates on it don't you?

Re: engine swap?!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shokutan boogie
    I do plan on staying in California for the time being, at least until i finish school.
    Ya know... If you had family in another state... 8)

Had plates on it. It was illegally smogged when I bought it. That shop got busted and my VIN was caught and flagged in the DMV system.

Don't illegally smog it, trust me.

Do the swap when you have time and money.

Swapping one L series out for another shouldn't be terribly difficult, a couple of weekends and you'd have it done

my thought on this is if the car jas a L series 6 in it already I you might not have to do a hole engine swap just get the intake many with egr and ecu from a 280z and o2 sensor if the ecu requiers one and install a catalitic converter oh and maybe retard the timeing .. just my 2cents

you could try jus putting the egr and smog stuff problem is now car is flagged by dmv so most likely will have to go to ref if reffed or bar check will need l20 and all smog compliance for that year in car, too bad car got flagged ..i am currently in school for smog tech....(which is boring)

I do have family in Kentucky, friends in Texas and North Dakota- but it's probably best to just wait. Finding parts for this beast is not easy- Japan goes through cars like Americans go through IN-N-OUT burgers. If i get in an accident...done. I will be stocking up on spare Z parts though, they seem to be seldemly seen now days. lol, but yeah...I'm in school and so money is tight....i'll chill for now.