Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 78 rolla project; new issue dying when warmed up!

78 rolla project; new issue dying when warmed up!

well if anyone knows where i can grab a rebuilt or good working small base 2tc electronic dizzy let me know please :tu:

today i ordered paradise racing springs and adjustable seats, and while at the junkyard i discovered two sr5 ae86's, so ill be raping one for the front strut tubes and bigger vented disks up front. some poly bushings for the front are foreseeable as well. i just need to find a reliable site to order them from. oh, and i ordered an exhaust mani gasket cause u can hear it farting into the engine bay!

FWIW, just about every inline 4 cylinder to come out of Japan is 1-3-4-2. :wink:

ok i got the timing set, got new plugs, got new dizzy rotor, and the derned things still mis-firing!

ok, big sigh of relief. did a compression test and it was a consistant 150 all the way across the board! the number two and three cylinders appear to not be in use as oil and unburned fuel seems to have collected in those two. im hoping its a used up or dirty bit in the dizzy, so tommorow ill dissasemble and clean it as best i can and if that doesnt do anything ill probably order a remanufactured one off of the 'bay.

or you could just clean your points. thats where i would start.

i have cleaned out the insides of the dizzy once, briefly. so the 78 is for sure a points type dizzy? i think the guy at autozone kept telling my dad its the electrical type or whatever it was he said, and not the points type and that may have been why he sold my dad the wrong dizzy cap. anyways the distributors getting broken into again tommorow for a more detailed scrubbing :P

78 should already be an electronic distributor. Just look inside. Do you see a little spring looking thing or do you see a black box with a 4 star wheel on the distributor? Every 78 I've ever seen has had an electronic distributor in it.

i have an 1981 3t tt132 corona and its got points type dizzy, i changed the points in it the other day, it was real easy.

my buddys 79te31 is points, my 75te38 is points, and all the ones ive seen in the junk yard are points.

Yes your 75 would be points. But that 79 has definately had the distributor changed then. My 78 SR5 was electronic. Anyway man. Just check your dizzy again. Or better yet. Post up a picture. :tu: