Thread: Fisch's 1971 Datsun 510 LZ22- Chapman!

Fisch's 1971 Datsun 510 LZ22- Chapman!

Hey JNCers! I picked up my 3rd Datsun last fall to join the 521 and the 1959 l210!

(I am not sure what happened to my 1959 L210 thread, but I am guessing it died when the forum got its cosmetic changes? I will try to make another sometime.)

This 510 will be my daily beater, as it has a good-to-go LZ22 under the hood. But is a tad cosmetically challenged with its spraybombed cammo paint job! Which is kinda neat, with the hidden bre stripes, but not quite my thing.

This bitchin dime was built by Chris of Maine of the BBlist. He named it Chapman, and true to the spirit wanted to make the lightest 510 he could, so it is missing a ton or the interior.

A very New England 510 with its FUTOFAB and New England SCAA stickers in teh window.

Currently I am scrubbing off the paint to get down to the original paint/patina beneath! On to the pics.

When I got it:

Lz22 under the hood!

Oil Pan: Stock Datsun 510 L16
    Block: Z22S Truck, bored .020 over, decked .005, honed for moly rings, all galleys tapped and plugged, oil dipstick relocated to passenger side, oil jet drilled to .110, chain guide holes retapped to accept 8mm bolts
    Crank: Z22S Truck, rods and mains turned .010 and micro-polished
    Rods: Z22S Truck, ARP rod bolts, resized big ends, balanced
    Bearings: Federal Mogul
    Pistons: Z22S Truck, NAPA replacement (cast) machined to flattops, polished, balanced
    Rings: TotalSeal Moly Faced, zero gap second ring, hand filed top gap
    Timing Cover: L20 Truck
    Oil Pump: Nissan 280ZX
    Front Pully: NAPZ24 Truck
    Flywheel: Z24 Truck, 18#, used with Z22S 225mm clutch
    Water Pump: NAPZ24, with 4 blade plastic fan
    Distributor: A15 electronic, modified with ball bearing shaft and recurved for 14 degrees mechanical and 10 degrees vacuum advance
    Timing Chain: NAPA replacement kit
    Oil Pump Drive: L20
    Head Gasket: NISMO Competition
    Head Studs: ARP
    Head: W53 closed chamber, mild valve unshrouding, venturi pocket porting, new spiral groove cast iron guides, new intake seats, intake and exhaust valve tips height equalized, 3 angle valve job hand blended
    transitions. Intake ports gasket matched to 1.50 blended into stock 1.25 dia port. Intake ports and chambers equalized and ccd. Oil passage blended to match block jet outlet location. Shaved .015 on the bottom and .017 on the top, Goodson .015 thick cam tower shims.
    Valves: Manley Severe Duty stainless, flow relieved chrome stems, swirl polished, back cut radiused intake profile. 44mm intake, 35mm exhaust
    Valve Seals: Felpro Viton
    Springs: Norris 120# seat pressure at 1.60
    Retainers: L18, stock
    Keepers: modified Chrysler Hemi
    Lash Pads: Top End Performance, .210 -.240 high
    Rockers: Hand selected for best valve stem tip alignment
    Cam: DAMB grind, on a U20 L18 core 520L/268D measured at .025 lift, zero lash. Drilled and tapped cam rear for 3/8NPT plug
    Cam Towers: 260Z with modified internal spray bar
    Intake: Datsun SSS 1.50 runners with dry water passages
    Carb Spacers: 3/4 thick epoxied marine plywood blended from 46mm to 38mm
    Carbs: Z-Therapy Hitachi Z-car SU roundtops, with modified Z car airbox (integral air horns)
    Plugs: NKG BPR6ES
    Wires: Accel 8mm
    Exhaust: NISMO header, O2 sensor, pan-evac scavenge system, 2" exhaust pipe
    Fuel Pump: Nissan mechanical

Some video!

The other thing I LOVE about this dime is the custom military style dash! From Chris: "Stock dash layout (with working vents) except: A/F meter in the place of OEM temp gauge, Fiero tach in tach nacelle, custom center instrument pod with clock/timer, permanantly installed G-Tech meter, two channel EGT gauge (one stopped working last week, needs a $40 sensor) Autometer Pro-Comp volts, oil pressure, coolant temp guages (mechanical) bank of six toggle switches, vacuum ports (one manifold, one distributor advance) and dash dimmer knob (not connected) Idiot lights for alt and oil pressure, plus an unwired spare."

There is no interior to speak of but I did get some stock 510 seats from Chris!

Let the paint removal begin!

And a little snowman on the hood from my Daughter.

All in all this is a really straight car for New England. But eventually I will have to do something about the fiberglassed rear QPs.

Since this shot I have removed the cammo from the hood and grill and bumper. It is a long process! Eventually it might see a paintjob. But I am a fan of patina Datsuns, and don't want to lose teh mojo for a while. But knowing me, some bitchin door graphics will show up soon enough and who knows what other cosmetic touches. Some of my inspiration!

very very cool 510! just a side note but i am a fan of your artwork, loved seeing the pictures on ratsun. can't wait to see what kind of graphics you do on this car!

Quote Originally Posted by Nismopunch
    very very cool 510! just a side note but i am a fan of your artwork, loved seeing the pictures on ratsun. can't wait to see what kind of graphics you do on this car!
    Thanks man! I can't wait to daily this thing! Snow is melting, almost time to register it and get it on the road!

Re: Fisch's 1971 Datsun 510 LZ22- Chapman!

Little photo update on Chapman! Got most of the paint off of him, but left a stripe on the trunk and hood and roof till later. I was hoping to find some yummy patina under there and succeded! (Posint with my 1975 Yamaha moto-bike BMX.)

nice, the camo was ugly. camo roof is cool

thats pretty cool!

Thanks guys! It will get even cooler when I hand paint some graphics down the side. Just getting it to a blank 'patina' canvas currently. If you've ever seen my other custom stuff you will get an idea where this is headed!

Quote Originally Posted by fisch
    This is amazing. I love the style you do.

Great looking car for the North East.....

I am a fan of your art also... Do you think something like that valve cover you did would holdup in actual use ??? I like what you did and think something along those lines would look good on my 240Z.....

Quote Originally Posted by showa
    Great looking car for the North East.....

I am a fan of your art also... Do you think something like that valve cover you did would holdup in actual use ??? I like what you did and think something along those lines would look good on my 240Z.....
    Thanks Showa! I am actually unsure if the paint will hold up as I have yet to install that valve cover on anything yet. I have my doubts though. It is Pinstriper/sign painter enamel on raw aluminum. I will more than likely clearcoat it before I use it, but I imagine some fogging will happen to the cleatcoat.

Man I wish I had more time for my Datsuns! (Don't we all!)