Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1962 Mazda Carol

1962 Mazda Carol

Hey guys, Im based in Christchurch, New Zealand, I have recently purchased a 1962 Mazda carol 360 and I was on google trying to find some info on it and stumbled across this forum, so I thought I'd post some pictures of mine. Some info first of all. It was the first and oldest mazda imported into New Zealand, it has done 52,000 kms. It was owned by an old man in Dunedin who started the first mazda dealership in the South Island called Anngow Mazda, he recently sold the buisness and his possesions due to poor health. I bought it not running and it hasn't been running since 2003 when it was last regestered. I got it transported up to my place. As soon as I got it I did all the checks firstly fluids etc etc then put a new battery in it and some fresh fuel and thought I'd give her a whirl. I couldn't belive it without using the choke it started first pop and idled perfectly. Any way enough of my blurb ill put some pictures up. Cheers!

Finally another Carol owner on this forum. I think you will find that yours is slightly newer than 1962 as the flatter nose wasn't until after 1964 from memory?? Mine are all the Carol 600 so I am not 100% sure when the 360 version body changed but they were both the same (apart from the bumpers) until 1963 at least.

Anyway, keep us all updated of your progress and welcome aboard. I will dig out my sales brochures to work out when the change happened.

Ok I will look into it also, Have you had yours valued at all?

Very cool indeed!

Unless you're a giant, that thing is impossibly small... :P

Thats amazing! I love seeing classic Mazdas in NZ hope to get me one soon....

My brochures show the squared off nose and square tail lights didn't arrive until 1966. On the brochure I have it has a sticker on the front announcing the "New Carol". Earlier examples had the rounded nose like my Carol 600.

You can't use my car as a comparison for insurance value as the Carol 600 is much rarer than your 360 version. The 600 only sold from 1962 to 1964, your 360 version continued on much longer and sold in much higher numbers.

For example, I was told by the Carol Owners Car Club (I think that is their name?) several years ago that there is only one Carol 600 left in Japan.

But don't get me wrong, your 360 version is still a very rare car anywhere outside of Japan.

There is an '63 R360 2 door for sale in the current issue of Just Cars Magazine for 17,000 ono, its quirkiness adds to its appeal I think.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsy
    There is an '63 R360 2 door for sale in the current issue of Just Cars Magazine for 17,000 ono, its quirkiness adds to its appeal I think.
    Just had a look at the ad. Very nice restored example and that price is certainly around the money for an R360. It can be used as a price guide for a restored Carol 360.

View the ad here: http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/buy ... cdf831e28a

The R360 was not officially sold in Australia but there were small numbers imported as there were different distributors in each state. The sellers quote of 19 left is probably a bit high as the Carol 600 has similar numbers left and they were officially sold here.

Great car and a cool story to go with it. What are your plans with this car?