Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1965 Daihatsu Compagno Spider

1965 Daihatsu Compagno Spider

Hi. I own a Daihatsu Spider. Link below is to my Blog gallery page. Should also be able to access the other pages from here:

http://compagno.drago.com.au/?page_id=21&galleryPage=1

As far as I can work out in Australia there aren't too many of these around. Trying to find out information about it is really difficult. I would love to here from other Daihatsu Compagno owners. The Compagno was also marketed as the Berlina in other countries.

At the moment the car is off it's wheels as I'm overhaulling the brakes and a few other things so that I can get it registered. Can't wait to get it on the road.

By the way great site. The Japanese cars have gone far too long unrecognised.

I have been outdone! Absolutely excellent! I have an old sales flyer for the Compagno and a few UK reviews of the normal Berlina saloon/sedan. The general opinion seemed to be that whilst the car was a little dated, it was well put together and an interesting alternative to a Mini if you could afford to pay a bit more.

The Compagno was the first Japanese car to be sold in the UK but I don't know how many they sold. Recently found out that at least one Spider was brought to a motor show here back in the day, but unknown if they actually sold any. I also spotted a Compagno Station Wagon for sale about 2 years ago on eBay which was half way through restoration.

Good luck with this project!

That's lovely! Such a shame that none of the Compagno's were sold here in any great number, rendering them unavailable to us today. Here's the Daihatsu stand from the 1966 British Motorshow...

Great picture from the Motor Show. I beleive the car was designed to enter the English car market and put some wind up MG and the like, to show them that the Japanese could produce a 'sprots car'. The Compagno was Daihatsu's first large volume export passanger vehicle.

Administrator
    That is just fantastic! As I'm sure you know, the Compagno is a highly revered member of the Daihatsu history in Japan and one of their earliest convertibles. Sadly, we never received it in the States. Hope to see more pics when your resto is complete! Welcome to the site!

Wow! What a great car ! You can be a very happy owner.

I have some brochures of the compagno on my website (german language only, but will change soon, i hope).

See: http://www.hijet.de/compagno.135.0.html

I do also own theUK advert you mentioned: http://www.hijet.de/files/compagno-uk-ad-1965.pdf

Cheers,

Daniel

Really a dream car!

Could you maybe made a few pics from the engine?

@MrHijet welcome here

Bangin!

Mr_Daihatsu - I'll post some pictures of the engine bay soon, little busy at the moment with the festive season fast approaching.

Got delivery of a hand book for the car today. It's actually for the wagon version, but it's essentially the same car, just mine doesn't have a roof. It's gonig to solve some wiring issues I'm having (I hope). I have switches on the dash but dodn't know what they do but this book has a great picture of the dash layout and what all the controls do. For those interested I bought it from a gentleman called Tony Booth, he is in Oxfordshire, England. His web site is http://www.tonyboothmanuals.com

Daihatsu compagno spider 1969

I live in Brisbane and have a registered and running vehicle which I bought 7 years ago