Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: negative camber on rear axle?

negative camber on rear axle?

hello guys, I'm just wondering...can I really camber my rear axle? If you guys tried it can you show me how to do it? I really want to have a negative camber on my rear wheels.

the axle is like this.. I've searched from other sites they said it is possible but can't find instructions on how to do it.

FYI, there are two standard methods to achieve negative camber with a solid axle. Neither will go much past 1 to 1.5 degrees negative. If you're doing it for looks, I don't think you'll be happy with either one. :?

Neither of those are solid axle cars are they?

erm, those car's above could not possibly have solid axles.

RX-7 racers can get a small amount of negative rear camber by heating and bending the axle carrier, the trade off is that you decrease axle, side gears and axle bearings dramatically.

for a street car, it's not worth the extra cost and maintenance involved.

Quote Originally Posted by ewokracing
    RX-7 racers can get a small amount of negative rear camber by heating and bending the axle carrier, the trade off is that you decrease axle, side gears and axle bearings dramatically.
    Thanks for the description, as that is one of the methods I was referring too. But for the decrease in reliability, and very minor increase in negative camber you're correct, it's totally not worth it.

The OP needs to address the original question though. Is this for looks or performance? How much negative camber do you want?

FYI...

I know how it's NORMALLY done. Cambered snouts. The ends of the rear end are cut off, and cambered snouts are welded in place. Then full floating axles are used along with drive plates. This is normally done on 9" Fords
    see attached link.

http://www.stockcarproducts.com/rear1a.htm

It has been done on 8.8's by placing the rear end in a fixture and bending the housing. This places the axle in a bind and will cause premature axle bearing failure. It seems really suspect to me. A lot comes into play. For instance, when running a cambered rear end, changing the pinion angle can also change the rear toe setting. Bending the rear end housing improperly without considering the "toe" factor can make a car that is completely unpredictable and dangerous. Unless you know a reputable shop to do it, it's not a modification for a shade-tree mechanic, IMHO. Regardless, unless you go with a rearend with properly cambered snouts, I wouldn't recommend it. Others on this site may disagree.

Thanks for the reply, it would probably for the looks, I'm going to do this because my rims have wide lips and it about 1 inch wider than the fender, I don't want to have flairs because its just 1 inch out so it will look really ridiculous. and its a galant sigma I don't even see a flairs for this model. So I'm just thinking of using negative camber to tuck that 1 inch in the fender.

Quote Originally Posted by kpgc10

wow this is to much..... :P .....I think this is independent suspension