Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there any Japanese CARS (Disney/Pixar)?

Are there any Japanese CARS (Disney/Pixar)?

It's time I call in the experts.

In my never ending quest to collect various Toyota diecast & toys, I have recently expanded my horizons. I have turned my attention the the Disney/Pixar Cars line. I'm sure there are at least a few fans out there... hopefully right here on JNC!

What kicked it off was when I was at a friend's house, and I saw all the Cars their 2 year old son has. Of course I couldn't help but play with them. Then, to top it off they put the Disney Car Toons DVD in for the kids (and me) to watch. One short was Tokyo Drift, which I'd seen before. Sooooooo, when I was at Target the next day, I saw this toy and bought it. Meet Ito San.

Not really sure what Ito San is supposed to represent though. I know most of the toys are very generic, which I'm sure is a licensing issue. Guess I can pretend it's a Toyota. Looks like it may have a touch of Century in it... maybe some other cars too? That's what I need the experts for. You guys out there that really know your cars.... the guys with an eye for the small details. So what do you think? Is Ito San a Toyota Century, or maybe a Mark II? How about a touch of Chaser or Crown?

But Ito San is just the tip of the iceberg. I'm wondering about some of the other Cars too.

I know there are some Miatas in the toy line (as well as a number of actual American & European makes), so I got to wondering if there were any other 'real' Japanese models represented. Anyone have any opinions? The cop car from Tokyo Drift, Patokaa, is a typical Japanese police design (some minor detail is a little off), and close enough to a Toyota Crown. It was recently released in the toy-line, but I haven't found one yet.

From the original movie there is DJ (possible a Scion xB, but it has other influences too), and Wingo (what is he supposed to be?! :roll: )

And there is Todd, the Pizza Planet delivery truck, from the original movie... a Toyota Truck.

Here are some pix of some of the cars from Tokyo Drift:

Cho, Kyandee, Kaa Reesu, Kabuto Ninja, Komodo

Manji, Tabinu, Yojimbo, Yokoza, Van San

So what are your opinions? What do you think some of these characters are supposed to represent?

In my search for everything Toyota, I figure I just gotta add some if these, even if they aren't really Toyota, but just close to it. :lol:

there is an orange 240 Z i believe... i think that JNC posted it on there blog... lemme check..

edit: don't see it... i don't know if a diecast has been released of it though.

How about drawing/painting eyeballs or putting eyeball stickers onto the windshield of ChoroQ cars? That would provide an almost endless source of genuine Japanese cars to be Pixar-ized.

Quote Originally Posted by e-at_me
    there is an orange 240 Z i believe... i think that JNC posted it on there blog... lemme check..

edit: don't see it... i don't know if a diecast has been released of it though.
    Don't think there is.

Quote Originally Posted by JT191
    How about drawing/painting eyeballs or putting eyeball stickers onto the windshield of ChoroQ cars? That would provide an almost endless source of genuine Japanese cars to be Pixar-ized.
    Uh, not quite what I was trying to do...

Hmmm, I really thought someone here would be into Cars and have all the characters pegged into certain makes. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by toyotageek
    I really thought someone here would be into Cars and have all the characters pegged into certain makes. :roll:
    Really? :P :P :P

Sometimes the internets don't have all the answers... :wink:

I would wager that most of these cars are specifically designed to be androgynous and borrow elements from lots of different cars so Disney/Pixar doesn't have to pay licensing fees to the automakers.

And Ito San is totally a Century/Crown hybrid.

Re: Are there any Japanese CARS (Disney/Pixar)?

Kabuto Ninja

In the cars toon they look like S14 Silvias, which is fitting since they are some of top chosen drift cars.

Tabinu

Looks like an S15 Silvia.

Manji

An Audi TT

Quote Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    I would wager that most of these cars are specifically designed to be androgynous and borrow elements from lots of different cars so Disney/Pixar doesn't have to pay licensing fees to the automakers.
    Can't forget Sally Carrera, though. That chick's a straight-up Porsche.

Quote Originally Posted by Camshaft
    Can't forget Sally Carrera, though. That chick's a straight-up Porsche.
    Hence why I said most. :wink:

It seems as though most of the main characters are recognizable cars. Most of the secondary cars are not.

Yes, Ito San does have hints of the Century. I wanna go with GX71 Toyota Cresta... by the upright, thin formal roofline that Ito San has, like the Cresta.

Although, the Cresta has quad headlights and Ito San has euro halogen units.