Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 72 Skyline build thread

72 Skyline build thread

As I stated in my other tread I've been off the list for a year or so and lost my build tread. So I'll start a new one. I'm not much of a writer and spelling is a weak point so be nice. The running joke is, I only want to do things twice or maybe three times before I get it right.
    I got my car 3-31-06 a 72 GTX Skyline ( GTR Clone ) which included Rear flares, a GTR grill, front spoiler, rear wing and clear white front glass. The car came without a motor so the seller included a Nissan reman 810 engine and what he thought was a correct oil pan. After a week or so of searching I found an oil pan from another Skyline owner which was the beginning of many set backs. I then purchased a complete engine, transmission package which included triple Mukiniís, header, 5spd and misc parts. Thank goodness I just couldnít see S Uís on my Skyline. After a year plus of owning the car, it was running and driving. The first thing that had to change was the tires and suspension they were absolutely horrible. Tires where the easy part a cheap set of 195/50/14 for the fronts and I left the rears alone a pair of 245/60/14 Euro T/A s.
    I started to research the suspension for the car. My first thought was to use Z 32 front and rear brakes which lead me to M 30 front struts that would than need bump steer / adaptors from the steering knuckles to the bottom of the strut. With all that the wheel off set didnít like that setup so like I said I like to do things at least twice setup # 2 Brembo all the way around Custom hats, rotors and caliper adaptors for both front and rear you canít go wrong with a brembo setup RIGHT. Like any other 38year old car from the home land it has issues, and I will hopefully get to all of them and share them with all of you.
    Iím just an average guy that has fun working on my toys. I would never mean to offend any of you so if there is a better way or my wording is off let me know off line.

oil pan

Here is a pic of the nice oil pan that I got

First set of brakes

Here is the first set of brakes Z32 front and rears. M30 strut with Z 32 calipers & rotor

M30 strut with a coil over kit

Rear with Z 32 caliper & rotor notice caliper set at the 12 oclock position not a good idea.

Rear caliper adaptor for Z 32

Cleaning things up

Here are a few pic of a the bits before and after the powder coater.

Here is a pic of the new t/c rods z32 rear caliper adaptors and strut to knuckle / bump steer adaptors. ( v6 200sx or m30 struts)

Brembo brake setup

Here are a few pics of the do it twice brake brake setup.

Front hats and caliper mounts for the Brembo setup.

mockup

280zx front struts with coilover setup, front rotors to left. If you look at the left strut you can see the new bearing / spring purch that uses a stock 280zx thrust bearing.

Tein 510 / 240sx camber plates

For some reason I don't have a pic of the top piece of the setup to tie it all in you you guys.

Rear brake setup

here are my first brake caliper adaptors the top been a 810 I think for the skyline the bottom is the Z32 and the blue one is for the brembo setup with a Willwood parking setup

This is old news now but I'm having the brembo caliper adaptors remade because they where made for a 510 and will not fit a Skyline because the bearing & bolt spacing is larger.

Rear hub and rotors

So if any one wants caliper adaptors I have 3 pairs I'm just kicking around.

Nice work!

And wow that sump's pretty trashed
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.

Re: First set of brakes

Quote Originally Posted by kgc10

Rear with Z 32 caliper & rotor notice caliper set at the 12 oclock position not a good idea.
    just wondering, what's the down side of having the caliper up there like that?

At a guess...'might be slightly harder to bleed the air out of the brake fluid if the bleed nipple isn't the highest point on the caliper
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.

Fixed calipers should be installed at 9 or 3. Every bit you move away from that increases knockback.