Thread: 76 2tc no start?

76 2tc no start?

i havnt got to check it out myself, but its a 1976 corolla with the 1.6 2tc. supposedly someone tried to steal it and messed with the ignition, now it wont start. the guy told me it gets spark, and they sprayed starter fluid into the carb and still no response so it sounds like its NOT getting spark or at least it would turn over. any suggestions? the electrical on these lil guys is so basic it couldnt be too dificult to track down and fix whatever is doing it. maybe a blown coil or something?

Administrator
    What happens when you turn the key? Can you describe the sounds?

well i havnt got to investigate it at all yet, but was told when you turn the key it turns over but doesnt fire and they sprayed starter fluid straight down the carb. im hoping its easy like the dizzy points.

if you have to rewire anything i have the wiring diagrams out of the original sevice manual that i scanned to pdf. if you need them pm me ill email them to you

ok, so i got that baby home and heres whats up. it turns over, but gets no spark thru the spark plugs. someone at the yard i saved it from said it was getting electricity to the coil, no not thru the dizzy, so my question is; does anyone have a working or rebuilt dizzy to go on a 1978 rolla 2tc california model, or know whether or not the 1976/77 dizzy will fit the 78 model? thanks! Nick H.

as long as they both have 1 vaccumm hose running to them they should be fine, but you might want to clean off the points, check the wires (there should only be 2 going to it), and check the vaccumm line 1st