Thread: Automotive foam tape/padding

Automotive foam tape/padding

Hi folks, I just started a thread here for my restoration project:

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/foru...asc&highlight=

I am wondering, where can I buy (or better yet, what is the proper name for it) various types of foam tape or padding. For instance, around my radiator fan shroud, there was some foam tape there for vibration dampening. The 20+ year old foam was all dry and flaking away and I want to replace it with fresh. Also, there was some foam padding around the hood as well that is going bad. I want to replace all this stuff. Doesn't have to be OEM, I just want it to serve the same function. Any ideas?

Thanks - Bart

Anyone????

Thanks, Bart

i dont know the name for the fome but what you can do is lookinto your local hardwear store like home depot or a place where they sell stuff for a/c units since some a/c units for the house have the same fome tape or equivelent ... just a thoought wont hurt to try..

Thanks for the reply, I will take a look for that. This seems like it would be a common restoration problem....

Bart

Hey Bart,

Yes know the stuff, the hardware might be the go. The Australian based Bunnings hardware shops have some foams that I found did the trick. It was called draft tape, found in the window area - used to stop the wind getting past windows and doors. The brand was 3M, which does a large range of tapes, foams etc. It had double side tape on one side. I used it to reseal all the dash and air vents in some of my Mazda's which suffer the same foam fate.

i found the draft tape also, it is in a D shape when you cut it, sticky on one side. Comes in black, white and brown. Dont think it is thick enough for doors and hoods etc.

This is the stuff i was talking about in the earlier post, it is wind and waterproof, has a sticky side on it and can cover gaps up to 7mm.
    It is in three rows but you can easily cut them so you can use just one row.

Can i use this stuff to replace the old broken foam gaskets that were on my starlets taillights? or does anyone knows of something else to use for that?