Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1987 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo Special Edition - Restoration

1987 Isuzu Impulse RS Turbo Special Edition - Restoration

Hi folks, I figured I would add to the fun. We all like pictures and build threads, and there just isn't enough Isuzu love out there for me to get my fill of commentary and encouragement, so here goes.

A couple months ago, I started working on restoring my 1987 Impulse. The car is in excellent shape already, just needs a major mechanical refresh and some minor cosmetic TLC. Its leaking from every possible point, oil, coolant and diff fluid. All the gaskets and seals need refreshing and the engine bay needs to be cleaned up. I'll post pics of the process in here, my goal is to bring it down to the Japanese Nostalgic Car show this year.

First off, the radiator has been leaking since I took delivery of the car back in August. Here is what it looked like inside. (Do you like crunchy or creamy?)

Most of the painted surfaces under the hood look something like this, or worse.

The next few shots are of the motor disassembly. I'm sure most of you on here know what a spaghetti bowl of plumbing these old Japanese cars are full of. Its quite intimidating actually.

Tube city. Looks like an Aliens hive in there.

Valve cover cleaned up and ready for paint.

Mega dirt under the cowl cover....but NO RUST!

4ZC1-t

Last night I got the turbo and exhaust manifold off and outta the way.

And that's where I am at with it. I'll post more as I progress. Thanks for looking.

Bart

good to see another isuzu build. 8) Just a suggestion... all those obnoxious little rubber hoses in there... you might want to go ahead and replace them now, while it's all apart, so you don't have to go back into that spaghetti mess later on. anyway, the car looks good. keep it up. :tu:

Quote Originally Posted by opelboy76
    good to see another isuzu build. 8) Just a suggestion... all those obnoxious little rubber hoses in there... you might want to go ahead and replace them now, while it's all apart, so you don't have to go back into that spaghetti mess later on. anyway, the car looks good. keep it up. :tu:
    Don't worry, I'm pulling the motor and rebuilding the entire thing, hoses and all.

Bart

Glad to see a build thread for this thing! I agree, the vacuum hose nightmare makes restification of '80s cars a very, very daunting task. Glad to see you're doing it the right way, taking good pictures and replacing all of them!

Keep up the good work and don't give up! Our cars are tough to take care of. They're too new to find reproduction parts, but too old to find factory parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Camshaft
    They're too new to find reproduction parts, but too old to find factory parts.
    You hit the nail on the head. Body and interior parts are pretty much completely dried up. The only place to go there is salvage yards.

So far, engine mechanical stuff seems to be available, but limited still. Its no wonder so many of these cars from the 80s ended up in the crusher.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Impulsive
    Its no wonder so many of these cars from the 80s ended up in the crusher.
    At some point, '70s, '60s, and even '50s cars were worthless and disposable. But with so many being crushed or falling by the wayside, they became rare, and when people who once owned these machines decided to indulge in their nostalgia, it drove prices up. These cars will be special one day. Better buy them while we can still afford them!

Here's a little preview for you all of what I am going for under the hood.

Bart

Nice! Continues the white theme from the rest of that car. Is that powdercoated?

Nice! Continues the white theme from the rest of that car. Is that powdercoated?
    Yup! I'm going for a white/red/black (Isuzu colors) under the hood. Its just Duplicolor Engine Enamel. I hope it holds up!!!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Impulsive
    Yup! I'm going for a white/red/black (Isuzu colors) under the hood. Its just Duplicolor Engine Enamel. I hope it holds up!!!

Bart
    Just for laughs a few years ago, I sprayed the valve cover on my buddy's Accord while he adjusted the valves. Directly over top of the bubbling clearcoat. With no clear over the top of that, just factory touch-up paint over the raised letters. Every time I visit, it still looks the same as it always has. Duplicolor Engine Enamel is good stuff! :lol:

Your valve cover looks fantastic, though. Much better than your average spray-can job!