Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My "new" Datsun, '78 280Z

My "new" Datsun, '78 280Z

I recently traded off the Mustang I had the past 18 years for this clean '78 280Z.

Newly refreshed, new paint & interior, nicely done. MSA body kit was molded professionally to the body. It's at my mechanic's place getting Tokico lowering springs & HP shocks (to lose the 4x4 status), MSA ceramic coated header & 2 1/2" exhaust installed currently. Here are a few pics from when I first got it.

I just ordered a set of JDM chrome trim headlight covers from zccjdm.com

Going to get a set of the JDM chrome fender mirrors & remove these MSA window mirrors that are on it currently. I will also upgrade from the 14x7 0-offset wheels on it to some hyper black Rota RB wheels, in 16x8.

The mirrors will come next, then the Rotas in a few months. Eventually she'll get some unnatural aspiration, in the form of a 2JZGTE swap...but not for another year or so. Until then, I'll have to settle for my daily driver for my speed fix (although it isn't that fast...)

Should be a fun project. Congrats on acquiring it :tu:

Nice Z! That foxbody was pretty clean by the looks of it too. One question though, why a toyota engine? Just wondering.

The jz is superior in design to the RB and lightyears ahead of the L-series. Cost is roughly the same, the turbo is on the opposite side and there's no steering shaft interference issue. Great aftermarket and potential, to name a few. I lived in Japan for 9 years and have a lot of experience with Nissan and Toyota performance, the Toyota engines are just better engineered. The RB has oil and cooling issues, as well as a very poorly designed intake, that starves the last two cylinders and causes a leaner/hotter condition, eventually killing one or both piston's/rings, even on a well tuned engine.

I love toyota and they're hella over engineering. But putting one that's not in another toyota is not right. Keep with brands duder its better in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by liquid51
    I love toyota and they're hella over engineering. But putting one that's not in another toyota is not right. Keep with brands duder its better in the end.
    Yeah, that's not going to happen. I don't like wasting my hard earned cash...been there, done that. I'm not a purist, so in the end, it's results that matter most to me. At least it isn't a Chevy 350! Let's just say I spend a lot of time on hybridz.org...

Cool build. Not my style but each to his own. If you're going to put another engine in 240z, if power is what you want, why not drop a v8 or Viper engine in and call it a day? Like I said though, each to his own. Sounds like you have this planned out. Looking forward to see what's next.

Cool G35 by the way. I use to have a 2dr 07 when I lived in Hawaii. It was my daily cruiser(all stock). They haul butt.

I vote Honda D15 swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt K
    The jz is superior in design to the RB and lightyears ahead of the L-series. Cost is roughly the same, the turbo is on the opposite side and there's no steering shaft interference issue. Great aftermarket and potential, to name a few. I lived in Japan for 9 years and have a lot of experience with Nissan and Toyota performance, the Toyota engines are just better engineered. The RB has oil and cooling issues, as well as a very poorly designed intake, that starves the last two cylinders and causes a leaner/hotter condition, eventually killing one or both piston's/rings, even on a well tuned engine.
    To each his own definitely will be interested to see the progress of the swap. :tu:

I'm in the middle of swapping in Tokico springs, shocks, header and exhaust. Just received my jdm headlight covers too. We're also reinforcing the frame rails, strut towers, and body with additional seam welding and metal. I've got some stainless brake lines on the way, and am getting bigger brakes and master cylinder too. Pics once I get it back from the shop!