Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1974 RX-4/929 wagon.

1974 RX-4/929 wagon.

edit: this started as a cheap car to go and do fund raising rallying in, somehow I got distracted. Read on though!

ex Ian Mavric 13B PP 929/RX-4 track day car, currently getting stripped of all of it's circuit racing parts and getting rebuilt with road/dirt bits instead.

things I need to do asap:
    - buy decent jack stands that are lightweight, yet properly made (ie not supercheap rubbish and not ones that weigh a tonne either). Suggestions?

- tyres - suggestions? I need something for road and dirt

- dampners/springs/balljoints - again, suggestions on brands? I want to steer clear of noltec but can anyone recommend any brands that are available for 929/RX-4s? The last time I rebuilt a Mazda front end I had to use a combination of Roadsafe and TRW balljoints and the Roadsafe ones were useless.

It has a roll cage but this will be coming out as I don't like how the cross brace is positioned, I would be hitting my head on it. I'll also be refitting interior panels and carpet (if I can find them)

to do list:
    - pull out the rotary crossmember and refit a piston one
    - fit a 1800cc motor and 5spd
    - fit a standard diff
    - fit some trailer over-rider bars I have for the rear leaves
    - front end rebuild
    - rear dampners
    - find and fit wagon interior parts
    - find and fit some front panels and other external bits
    - rego it and do some events.

I also bought a parts car a few weeks ago, the shell is rotten but the front guards, grille, front apron and most importantly, the interior are in great condition.

I'm going to start swapping parts over this weekend.

Cool keep up the progress pics. Pitty about the rota being pulled. :cry:

Administrator
    A wagon RX4 race car! :shock:

You crazy Aussies... I would have loved to see that on the circuit.

More pictures!

The racing seat, roll cage and other bits and pieces will be getting removed and a full interior will be going back in. The interior in the parts car is in fantastic nick. You can see that the windscreen and bonnet are covered in ATF. That's a long story that I will call "the great Ford Falcon transmission saga of 2009".
    I've peeled the Selectmaz sticker off already as I go through a different business for my engine work.

Again, I'll be removing all of these stickers, same with the black number sticker on the door.

Castor adjustment blocks and the RX-4 engine crossmember. These will be removed and are going into a friend's RX-4 coupe.

Transmission tunnel and engine bay. Not too bad paint/rust wise.

Green and mean - the "pointy" front that will be going onto a friend's car. The wagon will get the early "flat" front off the yellow wagon.

It might get a rotary one day, but I've already got a rotary toy that is a shitload faster than this thing will ever be, so this is more for rallying and cruising.

Race pics from it's old days will come shortly

Some photos of the parts car:

Rust, as in rust like I saw while in the UK last year kind of rust:

Luckily it is basically a complete car bar the hubcaps (which I think the seller kept) and the log books etc.

The uncut dashboard and original radio where a big selling point

The interior is in excellent condition, with just a few warped plastic bits on the door handles (from Australia's harsh sunlight in summer) and a small tear in the load space headliner section.
    Listened to the radio on the weekend. Acccceeeee!

Forgot to mention, the bonnet nearly fell off when I first opened it, which is a pity as I need one!

Basically I'll be taking out the whole driveline, the interior, keeping all of the panels apart from the bonnet, all of the trim bits and then cutting up the shell and sending it off to be recycled. It's a pity to kill another classic Mazda, but it is too far gone to save. (though it still drives, it just has no brakes).
    I think it is possibly a 1 owner car as the signs are there that was well looked after, it even has Mazda ignition leads and it's been resprayed at some point - which is a pity as all of the original engine bay stickers are gone and I need to make copies of them - more about that later.

So the other week we got the Monday off as a holiday for the Queen I think.

So we did this:

Took out the rotary cross member and the castor adjustment blocks

Used this

Ended up with this

The stock items are going back in for now, the racing bits are going off to an RX-4 coupe.

Lots of standing around with the Ewok doing this since it was close to freezing - how you Poms work on cars in winter with snow is beyond me.

Bushes, balljoints etc are basically all going to need to be replaced.

Put this in - a piston engine crossmember and factory swaybar

Found this

Someone's installed a short nose differential centre without thinking. It's basically worn out the snubber bush. That's another part that'll be coming off the yellow wagon.

More to come but photobucket is playing up.

Quote Originally Posted by ben
    A wagon RX4 race car! :shock:

You crazy Aussies... I would have loved to see that on the circuit.
    Here you go

Removed some interior parts from the spare parts wagon last weekend

The interior was dirty and faded, but with a good wash with warm soapy water and some mix and matching of parts, I should have a complete black interior for the green wagon.

before/after - I cleaned the seats with some surface cleaner and a rag

slight tear in the seat support section near the headrest. That's all there is throughout the interior. I'm very happy about that.

Aaron labelled all of the evaporation setup so that we could hook it up in the green wagon.

Which was a mess. Blocked hoses and wires everywhere.

Drilled all of the pop rivets out of this last remaining panel.

All of this

And this

And this scuff plate - with the black gooey stuff cleaned off and proper rubbers used to centre the tailgate when it is closed - is going to the green wagon this weekend.

Administrator
    So where does that big round mod chair go? :lol:

Cheers for the pics and vids of the wagon though. Look at that lean!

I'm sorry if I offend your continent, but I really don't dig those hood scoops