Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone know how to find your old car???

anyone know how to find your old car???

just a curiosity, mostly, but I was wondering if there's any kind of DMV search or anything that would tell you if your old cars are still alive. I figure the DMV would have your (or my) name, but would they have a history of the cars you've owned? if so, those VIN's could be searched to see if they're still around, right? like I said, I'm just curious, but sometimes I wonder whatever happened to some of my old cars.

I remember a LONG time ago (10+ years) I asked the Dmv if I gave them a plate number would they tell me who owned it. The answer was yes but for a small fee. A few years ago I again asked them & they said its no longer an option for security purposes.

All it takes is a call to your local DMV to find out. :mrgreen:

It varies from state to state. And you'll probably need to supply the VIN yourself, at the very least.

I know that here in Texas, once it is registered in the new owner's name, that car is no longer attached to your name in any way.

In the UK, you can do a car search with a license plate ID.

Well, I know what happened to one of my favorite cars... a black/red interior and chrome Rallye wheels, 1979 Pontiac Grand LeMans coupe... I owned back in 1988.

I ran out of gas, on my way home. As I was walking back with the gas... my uncle who was a cop(off duty, mind you), was behind my Pontiac, calling in the plate. The insurance had lapsed, so it was towed.

I was out of work at the time, so it took me a while to save the money, for the impound fee. On the 28th day, I went to get my car. The people at the lot, told me it was sold to some idiot, who ended up putting the engine in a Camaro..... WHY, would you put a V6 in a Camaro?? :roll:

By law in Massachusetts... you can't sell, dispose of, or scrap an impounded car unless it's been there 30 days or more.

I threatened to sue the tow truck driver, who authorized the sale. He was so scared, he told me "I get cars all the time... whenever I get a running car, I'll sell them to you for only $100 bucks."

Thru that guy... I bought my 82 1.8 TE70 Corolla SR5 coupe, an 80 Mercury Capri RS 5.0, a 73 AMC Hornet, a 72 Pontiac LeMans Sport, and a 75 Toyota Corona... all for $100 each . :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by KresSlyda180
    Well, I know what happened to one of my favorite cars... a black/red interior and chrome Rallye wheels, 1979 Pontiac Grand LeMans coupe... I owned back in 1988.

I ran out of gas, on my way home. As I was walking back with the gas... my uncle who was a cop(off duty, mind you), was behind my Pontiac, calling in the plate. The insurance had lapsed, so it was towed.

I was out of work at the time, so it took me a while to save the money, for the impound fee. On the 28th day, I went to get my car. The people at the lot, told me it was sold to some idiot, who ended up putting the engine in a Camaro..... WHY, would you put a V6 in a Camaro?? :roll:

I threatened to sue the tow truck driver, who authorized the sale. He was so scared, he told me "I get cars all the time... whenever I get a running car, I'll sell them to you for only $100 bucks."

Thru that guy... I bought my 82 1.8 TE70 Corolla SR5 coupe, an 80 Mercury Capri RS 5.0, a 73 AMC Hornet, a 72 Pontiac LeMans Sport, and a 75 Toyota Corona... all for $100 each . :mrgreen:
    lucky

Quote Originally Posted by boxer3main
    Quote Originally Posted by KresSlyda180

lucky
    Yep, at the time... I haven't seen or heard from the guy, since 1995.

In Holland you can do a free car search online via the license plate id. Just recently i found out my old Civic has died. :|

Quote Originally Posted by Rolo
    In Holland you can do a free car search online via the license plate id. Just recently i found out my old Civic has died. :|
    Like old girlfriends, sometimes it's better NOT to know what happened to your old cars.

Haha yeah you're probably right