Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: anyone know how to find your old car???

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sugarhouse, Utah
    Posts
    469

    anyone know how to find your old car???

    just a curiosity, mostly, but I was wondering if there's any kind of DMV search or anything that would tell you if your old cars are still alive. I figure the DMV would have your (or my) name, but would they have a history of the cars you've owned? if so, those VIN's could be searched to see if they're still around, right? like I said, I'm just curious, but sometimes I wonder whatever happened to some of my old cars.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    635
    I remember a LONG time ago (10+ years) I asked the Dmv if I gave them a plate number would they tell me who owned it. The answer was yes but for a small fee. A few years ago I again asked them & they said its no longer an option for security purposes.

  3. #3
    Administrator john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Posts
    5,527
    All it takes is a call to your local DMV to find out. :mrgreen:

    It varies from state to state. And you'll probably need to supply the VIN yourself, at the very least.

    I know that here in Texas, once it is registered in the new owner's name, that car is no longer attached to your name in any way.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    195
    In the UK, you can do a car search with a license plate ID.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Boston, Assachusetts
    Posts
    900
    Well, I know what happened to one of my favorite cars... a black/red interior and chrome Rallye wheels, 1979 Pontiac Grand LeMans coupe... I owned back in 1988.

    I ran out of gas, on my way home. As I was walking back with the gas... my uncle who was a cop(off duty, mind you), was behind my Pontiac, calling in the plate. The insurance had lapsed, so it was towed.

    I was out of work at the time, so it took me a while to save the money, for the impound fee. On the 28th day, I went to get my car. The people at the lot, told me it was sold to some idiot, who ended up putting the engine in a Camaro..... WHY, would you put a V6 in a Camaro?? :roll:

    By law in Massachusetts... you can't sell, dispose of, or scrap an impounded car unless it's been there 30 days or more.

    I threatened to sue the tow truck driver, who authorized the sale. He was so scared, he told me "I get cars all the time... whenever I get a running car, I'll sell them to you for only $100 bucks."

    Thru that guy... I bought my 82 1.8 TE70 Corolla SR5 coupe, an 80 Mercury Capri RS 5.0, a 73 AMC Hornet, a 72 Pontiac LeMans Sport, and a 75 Toyota Corona... all for $100 each . :mrgreen:

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    maine
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by KresSlyda180
    Well, I know what happened to one of my favorite cars... a black/red interior and chrome Rallye wheels, 1979 Pontiac Grand LeMans coupe... I owned back in 1988.

    I ran out of gas, on my way home. As I was walking back with the gas... my uncle who was a cop(off duty, mind you), was behind my Pontiac, calling in the plate. The insurance had lapsed, so it was towed.

    I was out of work at the time, so it took me a while to save the money, for the impound fee. On the 28th day, I went to get my car. The people at the lot, told me it was sold to some idiot, who ended up putting the engine in a Camaro..... WHY, would you put a V6 in a Camaro?? :roll:

    I threatened to sue the tow truck driver, who authorized the sale. He was so scared, he told me "I get cars all the time... whenever I get a running car, I'll sell them to you for only $100 bucks."

    Thru that guy... I bought my 82 1.8 TE70 Corolla SR5 coupe, an 80 Mercury Capri RS 5.0, a 73 AMC Hornet, a 72 Pontiac LeMans Sport, and a 75 Toyota Corona... all for $100 each . :mrgreen:
    lucky

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Boston, Assachusetts
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by boxer3main
    Quote Originally Posted by KresSlyda180
    Well, I know what happened to one of my favorite cars... a black/red interior and chrome Rallye wheels, 1979 Pontiac Grand LeMans coupe... I owned back in 1988.

    I ran out of gas, on my way home. As I was walking back with the gas... my uncle who was a cop(off duty, mind you), was behind my Pontiac, calling in the plate. The insurance had lapsed, so it was towed.

    I was out of work at the time, so it took me a while to save the money, for the impound fee. On the 28th day, I went to get my car. The people at the lot, told me it was sold to some idiot, who ended up putting the engine in a Camaro..... WHY, would you put a V6 in a Camaro?? :roll:

    I threatened to sue the tow truck driver, who authorized the sale. He was so scared, he told me "I get cars all the time... whenever I get a running car, I'll sell them to you for only $100 bucks."

    Thru that guy... I bought my 82 1.8 TE70 Corolla SR5 coupe, an 80 Mercury Capri RS 5.0, a 73 AMC Hornet, a 72 Pontiac LeMans Sport, and a 75 Toyota Corona... all for $100 each . :mrgreen:
    lucky
    Yep, at the time... I haven't seen or heard from the guy, since 1995.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    14
    In Holland you can do a free car search online via the license plate id. Just recently i found out my old Civic has died. :|

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    1,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolo
    In Holland you can do a free car search online via the license plate id. Just recently i found out my old Civic has died. :|
    Like old girlfriends, sometimes it's better NOT to know what happened to your old cars.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    14
    Haha yeah you're probably right

Similar Threads

  1. Were can i find a c110?
    By Eric in forum Datsun/Nissan Garage
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-08-2014, 08:14 AM
  2. Wow you find only the best,
    By toyota1515 in forum Classic Car Nagoya
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 05:16 AM
  3. where to find 4 lug centerlines
    By jdmeg21 in forum Resto Tips, Wheels & Other Goodies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-21-2012, 05:30 AM
  4. RX3 Barn Find
    By FjFairlady in forum Mazda Garage
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 11:23 PM
  5. Not a junkyard find, but a field find
    By OkieRA29 in forum Toyota Garage
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 07:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •