Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are they "wannbe's" or what?

Are they "wannbe's" or what?

I run into people on occasion that are hell bent on insisting their Civic EF is an old school car. I just can't imagine this car being considered OS. Most of the people can only cite one reason: because they can get an antique tag for the car.

I posted here for a group question as it isn't a technical Honda query. What do you guys think?

Re: Are they "wannbe's" or what?

Quote Originally Posted by qdseeker
    I run into people on occasion that are hell bent on insisting their Civic EF is an old school car. I just can't imagine this car being considered OS. Most of the people can only cite one reason: because they can get an antique tag for the car.

I posted here for a group question as it isn't a technical Honda query. What do you guys think?
    You really want to revisit this topic again?

I couldn't imagine any car built in the '90's old school.
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi - Kickin' It Old School
    http://www.modified.com/features/modp-0 ... index.html

1993 Acura Integra - The New Old School

The Obscure One - Old School Shoot Out - 1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    http://www.modified.com/features/0604_s ... index.html

Lien On Z - Old School Shoot Out - 1990 Nissan 300ZX Turbo

Old School Shootout - 90's Superchargers
    http://www.modified.com/events/0604_scc ... index.html

1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - Old-School Bully
    http://www.modified.com/uscc/0412_sccp_ ... index.html

At some point, the zealots are going to have to realize that they don't own the definition of old school, and that as every year passes, everything increases in age. It's not a concrete time period with a set beginning and end date. Time passed and newer stuff got older, end of story.

I for one am not going to wait for the chrome bumper crowd to die off before I state proudly that I am nostalgic for and truly enjoy all of my plastic bumper, fuel injected, airbag disabled cars, equally as much as my chrome bumpered, carburetted, steel-death-dash equipped cars.

Not really... well kinda, since they were made in '88(87 in Japan). I had an 85 Civic hatchee... and I consider it old school, because 1) you really don't see em anymore 2) they were made from 84-87(83 in Japan).

Now, I say the EF is not really old school... because I have an S13, made from 89-94 in the US, (87-98+ for the 180sx?) and most don't, even though it started in the late 80's, consider the S13 old school.

Here are a few 80s-90s crossover Japanese cars, that should also be considered old school if the EF Civic is:

89-94 S13 Nissan 240sx
    88-92 AE92 Corolla/Corolla SR5 and GTS
    86-92 Toyota Supra
    89-92 Mitsubishi Galant/Galant VR4
    89-94 Mitsubishi Eclipse/Plymouth Laser/Eagle Talon(not really Japanese, since ALL DSMs were made in Normal,Ill... NO such thing as a JDM Eclipse) :P
    89-92 Dodge Colt/Mitsubishi Mirage
    87-90 Toyota Tercel
    88-91 Honda CRX(I guess it's an EF, too)
    87-90 Nissan Pulsar NX coupe
    85-92 Subaru GL,DL, Loyale
    89-94 Subaru Legacy
    89-94 Nissan Maxima
    86-90 Acura Legend
    89-92 Toyota Cressida

Now, these cars were also made around the same time as the EF Civic. If certain people think they meet the criteria as old school, so be it. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by JT191

I posted the topic, yes? If you don't like it or want to delve into it, move on.

I posted the topic, yes? If you don't like it or want to delve into it, move on.
    The last time you brought up this topic, you could not support your position in the discussion.

Based on the fact that you could not get past the first seven words of the first response to your revisiting the topic, it looks like this thread is going to end the same way. I'm more than happy to delve into it with the same enthusiasm and seriousness as last time. But if the sole support of your position remains "Because gdseeker says so", you might be the one who wants to move on.

Any response to the post content after those first seven words?

I couldn't imagine any car built in the '90's old school.
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi - Kickin' It Old School

1993 Acura Integra - The New Old School

The Obscure One - Old School Shoot Out - 1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4

Lien On Z - Old School Shoot Out - 1990 Nissan 300ZX Turbo

Old School Shootout - 90's Superchargers
    http://www.modified.com/events/0604_scc ... index.html

1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - Old-School Bully
    http://www.modified.com/uscc/0412_sccp_ ... index.html

At some point, the zealots are going to have to realize that they don't own the definition of old school, and that as every year passes, everything increases in age. It's not a concrete time period with a set beginning and end date. Time passed and newer stuff got older, end of story.

I for one am not going to wait for the chrome bumper crowd to die off before I state proudly that I am nostalgic for and truly enjoy all of my plastic bumper, fuel injected, airbag disabled cars, equally as much as my chrome bumpered, carburetted, steel-death-dash equipped cars.

I also forgot to mention these '80s to '90s crossover cars, too...

87-91 Toyota Camry
    86-89 Honda Accord(I consider it more of an old school car than the EF, simply because there are alot less, driving around. Also, it went from 86-89... and changed it's bodystyle, once it began the 90 model year)
    86-89 Acura Integra( I consider it more old school than the EF... it being a 1st gen, not too many on the street... bodystyle changed in 90)
    88-92 Mazda MX-6
    88-92 Mazda 626
    86-92 Mazda RX-7(same production run as the MkIII 86-92 Toyota Supra)

On a side note, as far as old school goes... compare these cars to the Fox body Mustang(79-93) and the 3rd gen Camaro(82-92). These cars began their production run, well before many JNCs. Yet their bodystyles went thru the beginning of the 90's. The 2nd gen Fox body Mercury Capri(Mustang's rarer twin, 79-86) ended it's production in the 80's... and IS a classic.

Some people consider those cars classics, some don't. Personally, I consider them both old school... they've been around long enough to be called that. :wink:

:tu:

CB7 Accord and BA3 Prelude gets no love? :P

Quote Originally Posted by KresSlyda180
    Here are a few 80s-90s crossover Japanese cars, that should also be considered old school if the EF Civic is:

89-94 S13 Nissan 240sx
    86-92 Toyota Supra
    89-94 Mitsubishi Eclipse/Plymouth Laser/Eagle Talon(not really Japanese, since ALL DSMs were made in Normal,Ill... NO such thing as a JDM Eclipse) :P
    87-90 Toyota Tercel
    89-93 Subaru Legacy
    89-94 Nissan Maxima
    86-90 Acura Legend
    89-92 Toyota Cressida

Now, these cars were also made around the same time as the EF Civic. If certain people think they meet the criteria as old school, so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    CB7 Accord and BA3 Prelude gets no love? :P

Quote Originally Posted by KresSlyda180

89-94 S13 Nissan 240sx
    86-92 Toyota Supra
    87-90 Toyota Tercel
    89-93 Subaru Legacy
    89-94 Nissan Maxima
    86-90 Acura Legend
    89-92 Toyota Cressida

Now, these cars were also made around the same time as the EF Civic. If certain people think they meet the criteria as old school, so be it.
    I forgot the 88-91 Prelude... the CB7 Accord DEFINITELY not, old school. That car was made in the 90's. Plus every ricer and their father owns one. I see like 20 of them drive by my street everyday. :lol:

I think the EF Civic is more old school than that. :wink:

i think it safe to say, any cars above 25 years should be considered as classics, this is what most communities would regard it as about

i guess that applies for JNC cars above 25 years.

and also any cars above 50 years are known as vintage, so those peeps owning a 1960s car and above would be classed as a vintage JNC right? hahah, those old fairlady gets the tags then