Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surreptitious

Surreptitious

To get this log up I'll try to re-cap my build so far.........

a few have likely seen this in one of a few different forums

Surreptitious is the name I gave my little Corolla when I began the build last year. If you look in the dictionary Surreptitious means 1)Marked by quiet...secrecy, 3) Conducted with or marked by hidden aims or methods.....

Or.....as I'd define her..... my little hotrod.

When I got her she looked like this....

remember this picture \/... you will be seeing it again

When I got her, she was not only underpowered, but UNpowered. She came with no engine, just a tangle of wires and hoses

sorry for the dark pic...... AND, warning in advance, many of my pictures are only fair

I found this wonderful body guy last year.... his name is David, and he works out of Beaverton, Or. I'll post up his pic in a bit.

Anyway, the car gets towed out to Beaverton to begin her transformation.........

the front end "look" is built around angles/edges. Part of which are vintage correct (20 year old?) Hella driving lamps, DE2000.

I had a good pair, until the body guy dropped one ops:

if you look carefully the lamp on the right is broken.

Where to find vintage Hella driving lamps?? The Netherlands of course?????? I found this set in a google search of a multi country (Europe) auction site

I've now have 3 good ones, and parts from the broken one(4th) if I should have a need.

When new, this car came with a 4AC engine, the single cam brother of the twin cam 4AGE. This fact made swapping in a proper powerplant MUCH simpler then most folks with E7(and earlier) Corollas have if they want a power transplant.

Here is the powerplant as now mounted

The specifics: 1606cc, 10.75 to 1, 264 type cams, sequential injection, KBD header, w 2.25" exhaust from header to exit.

Here are a few of the build photos

head after I removed the valve shrouding, and equalized the camber volume

Being in Portland, I chose Loynings Engine Service to assist with the build, here is Arnie Loyning, and the components that will be my engine

The rods, and crank after they got dressed, balanced and shotpeened

The only custom internal bits I got were lighter wrist pins........

....and had the piston skirts coated for lower friction

The special bit I paid Loynings for... Their 4AG expereince in porting - the next 3 photos....

intake port...

exhaust port...

....and exhaust leaving the head

add a pair of Web camshaft, grind 577

Dial them in just right......

Add advance engine management, I chose FJO Racing...

...... and her early #s tuning on a dyno, measured @ the wheels

The body gets Toyota 051 paint, Diamond White Pearl.

All the trim is re-blacked

Now to find a set of wheels to go along with her new, slightly more aggressive, image. I find a set of Drag 902 wheels, in rwd offset... on Yahoo Japan.

Remember that photo from earlier...... the front end shot???

Drum roll, please....................

I promised you a photo of David(my body guy) earlier too....

@ a recent little car show

and a few short video clips....

1st one is a very early dyno run - http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j143/ ... V00077.flv

2nd video is a start up, rev it a few times, let her idle, and shut her down - http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j143/ ... peview.mp4

Since this is my hotrod, and it is somewhat custom, there are some custom features that are incorporated into my car that are not in an original.

The first one would be a 9000 rpm tach fitted into the original cluster that only had an 8000 rpm tach. The Toyota FX16 is the only 4AGE powered car that came with a 9000 rpm tach. The entire FX16 tach was modified to fit the AE71 cluster(NOT an easy task). Why the switch??? Because my little motor is capable to rev out to 8400 rpm, and an 8k tach just wouldn't cut it

Here is the original cluster, note the mismatched indicator needles - some orange(small ones), some white(larger ones)

Here are the original and the modified one with the FX16 tach - note all the needles are now similarly orange

Continuing on with the custom work.... Look again @ the original front end... and the new front end... besides a slimmer bumper(I'll describe that more in a bit), the new front end is missing some original lamps........

The upper amber lamps out at the body's edge were parking lamps. The inner shielded amber lamps were the directional signals. To get the look I wanted I had to make the outer lamps BOTH parking lamps, AND directional signals!

This is how I did that........

1st I took a look @ the parking lamps and looked for a place to add an extra bulb... there ISN'T a great deal of room for more bulbs

Finding a place, I then began to think of what kind of lamp I could add there.... What first came to mind was a LED - (easy, self contained) but NOT bright enough! I then went on a hunt for a small incandecent(bright enough) lamp and socket that would fit in the available space. I go on a hunt to find a small socket/bulb assembly when I stumble over this in my junk box

Its the right size.....

and the light it produces....

Now a 4 panel explained....

the micro bulb is now the parking lamp(#2 from left to right), and the bulb that was originally the parking lamp(094 bulb type) is now the directional signal(#3 from left)

There is a significant safety advantage to this newer design.... NOW, the signal is in an area that can be seen by drivers to the side.... where as before it was impossible due to its location

Further custom work......

As mentioned the front bumper is custom. With my desire to add the FOHA chin spoiler(I'll add a post about this too), and the requirement of an oil cooler, and my desire to incorporate the DE2000 driving lamps, David built a custom bumper made from 1" DOM tubing

The bumper began life as a stock bumper, Jesse helped me one day and drilled out the original spot welds holding the behemoth bumper on to the brackets, and then David built the bumper based on the stock bumper brackets!

Not only is the front bumper custom based on the original behemoth it once was, but so is the rear bumper!!! The rear bumper began life a bit more original then the front... this time David removed all of the rubber parts and just left the steel inner reinforcement. He then skinned it, added a filet to make it the right size...........

MASSIVE original rear bumper....

Trimmed by about 35#s, and 6"....

One of the problems with old cars is old wiring... another problem is getting access to odd, or expensive relays.

Both can be solved with a COMPLETE re-wire. This task was well beyond my capabilities, I found this person who is decent, but is difficult during the best of times to deal with.... meet Mark

Even though Mark wired her, I did come upon a brainstorm for mounting electrical componenets.... use a cutting board as you mounting board!

Cut to the shape needed, hole drilled for mounting, relay board mounted securely.....

I purchased a EZ Wiring wiring kit to go along with the new relays(note... all are cheap Bosch type relays)

One of my favorite photos so far.... crappy camera phone, but the look is so aggressive....

The photo above shows both FOHA spoilers. FOHA is a division of a global company(originally based in Austria) that makes/made aero parts for many different cars throughout the years. My car is equipped with a fiberglass copy up front(painted white) and an original rear duckbill spoiler on the deck lid.

more custom bits......

As already mentioned this car is equipped with an oil cooler, but not an ordinary oil cooler... but a curved oil cooler originally designed for large bore motorcycles. I had to use this because the location is ideal for a cooler, if only corretly sized. When I ordered it, the representative @ Earl's did have a concern... but when I sent a photo of its location, he had no further concerns aboput its ability to cool a 4AGE of 1606cc

The curved cooler fits the location perfectly once custom fabricated braces were built.

Part of this cool custom part (imho) was the method used to isolate and seal the pass through for the oil cooler lines(far right in pic). The hole was there, an elongated oval hole about 2 1/2" x 1 1/4". I took a sway bar bushing (frame mount) and split it, then cut a recess in the back side so once fitted they would remain together unless pulled out.