Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Daihatsu Charade G10 facelift 1981

Daihatsu Charade G10 facelift 1981

Hy

My name ist Rainer and I'm a Daihatsu Fan since 1993 where I buy my first Daihatsu (a Daihatsu Charade G102s) from 1991.

Sometimes if you are a fan of a brand you come up with the idea that you want to have a historic car of your brand as it does in my case.

I buyed the car at ebay, as I contact the last registered owner within the car papers the women who answered the phone was very amazed that I could buy the car. She, the mother of the owner, tell me that he gave the car to a big Ford Dealer to scrap while they buy a new car.

Between the ebay seller sold the car at ebay he gave the car to a movie producer who use it for a very short scene whitin an german TV series.

I buy it for 300,- euro. Here you can see the ebay page where I buy it

http://www.japan-oldies.at/g10/ebay_charade.pdf

But it is all in german language, sorry for that.

After a complete restoring....

see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DTGN3VUTFs

I register it as historical car in Austria, so I got a certificate from Daihatsu that my car is builde in December 1980, first registering in Austria was in September 1981.

I hope you can enjoy the movie from youtube, if not you can get it also here: http://www.myvideo.de/watch/2614794

If made about 2000 pictures while restoring my car and print out about 600 pics and put it to a picture album. I have removed VERY screw of that car and rebuild it and repair it.....

Greetings

Rainer

Administrator
    Hi Rainer, welcome to JNC! I must say, that is an amazing job you did on your Daihatsu! Great video, you captured perfectly what it's like to really love a car. Thanks for rescuing it. Also, I love the snub to the Aston Martin showroom at the end!

I'm curious, how is the classic Japanese car scene in Austria? Were there a lot of old Japanese cars at the historic car show?

Hi Ben

Thank you very much for welcome me

There are only a few friends of my who love's old japanese cars. Most peoples loughes if you tell them that you found a communtiy as I did for old japanese cars. Last year we go to the biggest Austrian historical car show the "Oldtimermesse" in Tulln near vienna, and it was very good vibrations there. Okay there where also peoples who loughes about our cars or call out "what does THOSE cars here" but most of the peoples knows the cars and got sometimes wet eyes if they see it.

But japanese cars don't have ANY market here, so you can restore it if you want, but you never can sell it for a proper price, you can do it only for yourself. You restore it and you own it, for ever.... Some idiots like me does'nt want to sell here cars, they must be crazy

Greetings

Rainer

That's so cool! I watched the restoration video, you really have put a lot of work into this car. It's amazing to see a car like that receive a full restoration.

The value thing is the same for most old Japanese cars in the UK too. If I did a full restoration of my Charmant and made it perfect, it would only be worth about 1500 (2100 EUR).

Oh, Eddie off this forum has a G10 prefacelift which belongs to his girlfriend Bernie. It's a very nice car and was stored away for a few years I think:

You should bring your Charade to the Netherlands on July 2008! Some of us from the UK will be going to Japan Classic Sunday, it would be great if we could get some people from other places in Europe to come along. It could be quite a long drive for you, though! Details here if you're interested: viewtopic.php?t=629

Thank you Hirst

I have a few pics left on http://www.japan-oldies.at/g10.htm

The point for that meeting is about 1300 km each way away from me, so this is too much to drive it with the G10. But I want to keep it in my mind so maybe I can made a train pick-up to drive to Netherland.

We will see!

Greetings

Rainer

Wow--that's some serious love/dedication.

A pure labor of love that turned out beautifully.

Great job. :tu: :tu:

Wow rainer, that's a brilliant restoration! Good to see somebody else who has an early Charade! Early Charades are very scarce here, in fact I haven't seen another G10 model other than my girlfriends one other than in pictures. I bought this G10 off ebay too at the end of last year and gave it to my girlfriend for christmas. She likes old Japanese cars and especially small ones. The one I bought is in quite good condition so it doesn't really need fully restoring but like yours it has many small dents and a few scrapes so it will need repainting some time. I think it was owned by an elderly lady originally.

Are G10 models very rare where you live? Can you get parts for your car okay? It seems to be quite difficult to find parts here.

Here is a picture of my girlfriends G10...

-Eddie

Hy Eddi

Thank you very very much!

Currently I don't have issue's to get parts for my Charade, but I think I have to tell you that I maybe have the best Daihatsu Agent, he has a VERY big stock with old parts, so if you need parts exept for bumpers. Most Parts are still avaiable here in Austria. Maybe I can help you.

My Agent is: www.daihatsu-reindl.at if you cannot get in contact with him I will help you.

Did I see it right that your Girlfriends Charade lost some wheel hub's like this:

Would you need one or two wheel hubs?

Hi Rainer,

I tried a Daihatsu dealer here and they couldn't get my any of the parts I needed :cry: It's fortunate that not many parts are needed for our car but you are correct about the wheel center caps. There are two missing. The only other parts that it needs are a right hand tail light lens as the one on it is cracked and has been repaired with some tape and one of the little inside door lock buttons is missing.

If you could supply me a couple of wheel caps that would be great. Let me know how much to pay you for for them!

Do you have pictures from your restoration online somewhere?

-Eddie

You should try to find a better Daihatsu Agent, the major problem with the G10 parts is that the partnumbers have been changed 2 or some part 3 times, so only very good dealers they have all the updates from Daihatsu could "recalculate" the old partnumbers to the new one.

Technical spare parts are nearly ALL avaiable, if your dealer told you that it is not so he is not able to identify the right partnumber.

If you gave me your partslist I can help you to give it to Mr. Reindl, he can surly helps you for the most parts.

For this I could tell your very strange things....

As you maybe has seen on the video I damaged my engine, I don't had a second CB20 engine left "only" one CB23 I had buyed on ebay too.

The crank shaft within my CB20 engine is from the CB23 engine, the timingskills are the same, but at the ends of the crank shaft the diameter of the CB23 crank shaft is bigger than the crank shaft from the CB20 engine, so I tried to change the coverage, but here's the point where the thicker crank shaft does'nt fit I meant okay, get the coverage from the CB23 engine..... but the engine block is different from the CB20 to the CB23.....

What kind of pictures do you search for?

Here are the most common pictures from the restore.....

I buy my Charade at ebay

http://www.japan-oldies.at/g10/ebay_charade.pdf

Thats the pics from ebay

a little bit rust "down under"

Cylinderhead reworked

Take a look at the piston rod bearing on the right side...

on this (left) piston...
    x

so sweat and small

NO RUST, this is only 25 year old wax

NO RUST, this is only 25 year old wax

a little bit rust inside was very easy to remove.

Brand new "Old stock"

2 new (old stock) direction indicators

My after one day working an mY Charade...

New brakelines

a new break repair kit

towing to the first "offical" check

I made about 1500 pics and give about 550 pics to my "real" photoalbum, so it would be good if we could sometimes meet us, it is easier

The two wheel center caps I will spen to you (or to your Charade for "lease", that means so long as you or your girlfriend own your Charade it is free for you )

You can give me also a spare-part-list for new parts, and I get it from my dealer and send it to you including the 2 wheel caps

Sounds this good for you?