Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil cooler...

Oil cooler...

I've been wanting to put an oil cooler on my Civic for a while now. Is there a certain number of rows I should look at or does it really not matter?

Thanks.

Unless you are regularly tracking the car, no it does not matter.

Inside or outside? Either may limit the size of it a bit.

It will be inside mounted. Where the AC condenser used to be. I'm going for a more stock look than Boso. It isn't for track, but my mechanic told me that the engine I have in there will benefit (longer lasting) if I do utilize one. This engine already has the leads for one, too.

I would suggest against the style of cooler that are a single pipe that turns back and forth threading through a rectangle of aluminum fins. These are the cheap and low quality ones that are more typical in the US.

As a comparison for style, and an indication of quality and efficiency, look at the oil coolers that are used as original equipment on turbocharged cars. They are thick, formed with the oil plumbed through stamped fins. These get the oil closer to the metal and do a better job transferring the heat out of the oil and into the body of the cooler assembly.

B&M make oil and transmission fluid coolers, some are called supercoolers. They all follow the same basic design, 1 1/2 inch thick, 11 inches long, and a variety of heights to match the cooling need (4-11 inches).

Setrab make thick coolers and they have a good reputation.

One last note. If you are dealing with an overheating problem, the solution is a bigger radiator. Better cooling and more capacity of the coolant will provide more benefit than more cooling of the lubricant. They call them water cooled engines for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by JT191
    As a comparison for style, and an indication of quality and efficiency, look at the oil coolers that are used as original equipment on turbocharged cars. They are thick, formed with the oil plumbed through stamped fins. These get the oil closer to the metal and do a better job transferring the heat out of the oil and into the body of the cooler assembly.
    Which is why the stock RX7 oil coolers are so commonly used. :tu: :mrgreen:

B&M make oil and transmission fluid coolers, some are called supercoolers. They all follow the same basic design, 1 1/2 inch thick, 11 inches long, and a variety of heights to match the cooling need (4-11 inches).
    I was wondering about the B&M ones. You're talking about something like the below?

If you are dealing with an overheating problem, the solution is a bigger radiator. Better cooling and more capacity of the coolant will provide more benefit than more cooling of the lubricant. They call them water cooled engines for a reason.
    No overheating issues at all.

Quote Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    Which is why the stock RX7 oil coolers are so commonly used. :tu: :mrgreen:
    This is why the question. I have access to one of these at no cost. This would work well?

Quote Originally Posted by qdseeker
    I was wondering about the B&M ones.

â– All aluminum construction
    â– Stacked Plate design
    â– Pressure tested to 200psi
    â– Mounting brackets built into cooler
    â– New 3/8” diameter nipple fittings
    â– Automatic transmission coolers include mounting kit

1. High technology design includes the ‘Low Pressure
    Drop’ feature to reduce the risk of lube system failure.

2. Fluxless, oven brazed construction is vibration resistant.

3. Multiple oil flow paths for maximum cooling efficiency.

4. Revolutionary ‘stacked-plate’ construction

5. Lightweight aluminum alloy for maximum corrosion resistance.

They seem to be less expensive and easier to find than the Setrab coolers. But I don't like the mounting brackets though, they are flat out to the sides and would block airflow if you mounted the cooler in front of a radiator.

Quote Originally Posted by qdseeker
    This is why the question. I have access to one of these at no cost. This would work well?
    Yes, it should work very well.

But I don't like the mounting brackets though, they are flat out to the sides and would block airflow if you mounted the cooler in front of a radiator.
    I'm not going to put it in front of anything. It's going to be on the radiator support NEXT TO the radiator. Where the AC condenser used to be. So it'll be right behind the actual grill.

Right behind the CVCC part of the grill in the pic below...directly in air flow path...

you have no need for an oil cooler. if anything, you may actually harm your engine by the oil being too cool. oil is best at around 170-210 degrees. get an oil temp gauge, then figure out if you need a cooler or not. my guess is that you aren't anywhere near that temperature.