Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I guess I'm getting an S130?

I guess I'm getting an S130?

Nothing is finalized yet, but it's in a billion pieces and it's $100, split with a friend. Someone who lives in Sacramento was building it at his mother's house in rural michigan years ago and moved away, and gave up. It's really nothing that exciting, I never particularly desired one, it's a non turbo T-top 5-speed car.

I guess the general plan is to make it into an extreme budget race car, just so we can finally go to events and play around, even if we won't be competitive. When it was assembled and running, it ran a 16.2 at Lapeer dragway.

I guess my question is- how affordable are performance parts for these things? I know nothing of them, so someone school me please.

Re: I guess I'm getting an S130?

Quote Originally Posted by Stationwagonguy
    I guess my question is- how affordable are performance parts for these things?
    About the same as any other JNC, which is to say not cheap or easy to find. :P

Your best performance upgrades are in switching to better factory stuff. Either 280ZX turbo engine swap, or spend some bucks and do an
    RB20/RB25 swap?

The best cheap speed in one is a small-block Chevy. Been done many times and makes a very fast S130...

As I expected. :x Are there upgrades that I can nab from junkyards or off newer Zs or 240SXs and such? I know a lot of 240 people.

Not really. The newer Z's and 240SX's have almost nothing in common with these cars.

'84-85 non-turbo Z will net you bigger front brakes. And as I said, 280ZX Turbo engine would be a nice upgrade?

Z32 or S14 seats would be a nice upgrade, too. S130 seats suck for performance.

Quote Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    Not really. The newer Z's and 240SX's have almost nothing in common with these cars.

'84-85 non-turbo Z will net you bigger front brakes. And as I said, 280ZX Turbo engine would be a nice upgrade?

Z32 or S14 seats would be a nice upgrade, too. S130 seats suck for performance.
    IC.

I saw someone somewhere talking about an '89-'90 240SX throttle body as an upgrade, were they talking out their ass or no?

I'd go with a L28ET. Definitely will have to post up pics of it if you get it. :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by NSR_s30
    I'd go with a L28ET. Definitely will have to post up pics of it if you get it. :wink:
    Now it's looking iffy. The person who was going to tow/store it apparently landed himself in jail this afternoon. And I have a week before the car HAS to be gone.

ugh.

This is all I have of it's current condition, and these are 6 year old pictures-

If I had an S130 and needed a parts car, I'd consider buying that one for $100. But to buy it for $100 with the hopes of putting it back together is another story. S130's are still plentiful enough that you could buy a running, more complete one for less that it would that to make that one running and more complete. You say those are 6 yr old pics, the present condition is likely worse. JMO...

I agree somewhat with what has been said, and unless that car was completely rust free, I'd consider it a parts car....but by all means don't let that stop you from trying to rebuild it if you want to. Has it sat outside for six years with the front clip off?? If it has, you'll probably need a new wiring harness because of corrosion on the terminals and such.