Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hakosuka rear brakes

hakosuka rear brakes

i have been looking through some old magazines i have and i am having no luck with finding info on upgrade options for the rears. i know that ive seen some hako's with rear disk brakes, but i cant figure out what they are coming from aside from rocky auto's s13 rear subframe they used for s13 rear brakes.. anyone here have rear disc's?

From everything I've seen/heard, the trailing arm setup is similar between the 510, Laurel and Hakosuka regarding the rear brake disc conversion. The Japanese guy that I got my donor parts from had a Hakosuka, and he was going to do the rear disc conversion. He mentioned the usual conversion type for the 510's, as listed here:
    http://www.datsuns.com/510/brakes/510brackets.htm
    But he also mentioned that he was planning to use the R31 rear disc brake conversion. Being in Japan of course it was an available route for him (especially since he had a junkyard), so this might be a route you could consider as well. Especially if you only want Skyline parts to be used, since I know some people who feel that way. Here's the R31 conversion, it's in reference to installation on a 510, but again they are very similar:
    http://www.datfusion.com/forums/index.p ... ed&pid=313
    One thing that the R31 conversion doesn't mention, but that the other conversion does in new bearings. I would highly recommend getting new bearings, after several decades of wear it would be a very good thing.
    I hope this helps you out!

Some owners in Japan use R32 Rear brakes. The WORKS Hakosuka uses R32 all the way around. The down side you will have to buy the brackets or have some make them. However since you’re in Japan it shouldn’t be too hard to source some brackets. I plan to have some brackets made as soon as my calipers arrive. If your serious Ill see if I can have another set made.

I have a few pictures of the complete swap I'll try and post them later tonight.

thanks, i would LOVE to see the pics. will you be able to retain your parking brake with that setup?

and let me know what the price you are looking at with those brackets, i may jump in on the order. i was planning to just buy the standard offset bracket/rotor setup that you see on YAJ for around 33000Y

i have a set of S14 4 pistons for the fronts, and R32 rears would be really easy for me to get, just need a set of rotors, but i dont want to install a line lock, would much rather be able to retain the handbrake

a 510 and kgc10 are similar but tnot the same the bearings are diff size and so is hub shaft diameter any kit that fits a 510 will not directlyn bolt up to a hako...unless you get one of the kits from victory 50 or rubbersoul ...if your going r32 you can make your own brackets not to hard i nwould check clearances with your watanabes before getting crazy ...cause usually you will need to space the rim out to clear 15 inch any ways i am using evo brakes and it is a tight fit on the 15 watts

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal510
    The WORKS Hakosuka uses R32 all the way around.
    What "WORKS" are you referring to?

The term "Works" when applied to cars like the Hakosuka usually means the factory 'Works' racing team. None of those cars used 'R32' brakes, unless they had a time machine at Maruyama......

How much is the s14 rear conversion?

Quote Originally Posted by greenmonster80
    They recommend using the S13/14 rear components in order to maintain the parking brake.
    I'd be interested to see how that works. As the old 200sx, maxima and r31 conversions are the only ones I've seen retaining a parking brake since the parking brake on those is built into the caliper. I can't see bolting on the s13/s14/r32 rotors/calipers and retaining a stock parking brake system as those are a brake pad inside the rotor.

Quote Originally Posted by HS30-H

What "WORKS" are you referring to?
    Alan Im sorry I meant the victory 50 works theme Hakosuka.

After quickly browsing through a few mags I have. Here are a few of the pictures. Forgive me for the poor quality as they are pictures of a picture = ) I wasn’t able to find the slightly more detailed pictures of the rear brake setup but I’ll just have to go through all my mags sometime this week.

Also I was wrong Victory 50 hakosuka is running Brembo calipers upfront r32 calipers outback.

I meant to say this car was running R32 all around.

2000gtx - I am using evo brakes and it is a tight fit on the 15 watts.
    If you have pictures of the your setup. I’d sure like to see

unfortunately these are all purpose built machines, and im betting they dont retain parking brakes HAHA

i would really like to do this, but retain the parking brakes for my Hako..

thanks for the pics, they will be very helpful!!