Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1969 Toyota Corona rt52 Coupe

1969 Toyota Corona rt52 Coupe

All original from what i know. The odometer is frozen up at 9600, which seems common on these old Toyota's. Its got a 3RC with a Toyoglide 2 speed on the floor. The transmission doesn't leak at all, but doesn't seem to like being in low gear very much. Not sure if there are adjustments on this? The engine does not run very well which i am 95% sure is because the distributor is not advancing properly. As well as not running right its leaking oil pretty good too. Should be a fun little project.

This thing has been really fun just cruising around town and what not, getting a lot of attention and questions. I hope that i can daily drive this little beast and eventually upgrade the engine/tranny to something with around 150-200hp.

Let me know what you guys think.

Bump

Welcome aboard, man that is sweet!!

Very nice. I have already done what you are looking for. 170HP 18RG with a 5 speed. its even more fun!

looks nice! i'm working on getting mine roadworthy. just need new brakes and patch up a hole in the exhaust pipe.

you should be able to get the odometer rebuilt for cheap. i spend $35 to get the speedo/odo rebuilt here in phoenix.

Quote Originally Posted by moominsean
    looks nice! i'm working on getting mine roadworthy. just need new brakes and patch up a hole in the exhaust pipe.

you should be able to get the odometer rebuilt for cheap. i spend $35 to get the speedo/odo rebuilt here in phoenix.
    pulled the drums off yesterday and all four corners are almost brand new shoes. the muffler is completely rotted out on the inlet side as well, makes it sound pretty beast.

Is there any good reason to remove the smog pump? What exactly do i need to do? Almost seems like it would be a first gen belt driven supercharger

my smog pump was disconnected a long time ago. i was told it was a common thing to do, though not sure why. one less thing to maintain, or better performance maybe.

for questions and parts, email carlyn at cdinkler@bellsouth.net.

very clean car i have a 70 corona mark II where abouts are u in the east bay?

The timing does not work properly which i determined to be the vacuum advance. I took the vacuum line off from the carb to the distributor and found a nail that was shoved up inside the tubing to block the airflow. It was all hooked up and looked as if the vacuum advance would be working just fine.

Now answer me this. Why would anyone ever block the vacuum line to their
    vacuum advance on their distributor?

Here are some more pictures for you guys (i know moominsean will appreciate the pics our cars are basically twins)