Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the same old but new wheels

the same old but new wheels

Hi, everyone. it's nice to finally found a community of japanese retro car.

i saw some of those pictures in the gallery, there are some old style wheels, but the finishes looks brand new and the lips so deep; is it new?

i would like to ask everyone here on where to find or order a brand new old wheels like the BBS RS, the Enkei (don't know the series, but you all know) etc.

by the way, i drive a 1972 Mazda RX4, any help on info about stores/website that sold their parts would be a great help!

thanks.

Re: the same old but new wheels

Quote Originally Posted by dzsuperboy
    i would like to ask everyone here on where to find or order a brand new old wheels like the BBS RS, the Enkei (don't know the series, but you all know) etc.
    There are wheel companies all over the world that offer refinishing services to make those old wheel look new. :tu: :mrgreen:

Or you could tackle refinishing yourself? Done that myself many times.

My last set...

Before:

After:

Quote Originally Posted by datsunfreak

Before:

After:
    Are those Western Wheels, Rikens or Southern Ways?

Quote Originally Posted by KresSlyda180
    Are those Western Wheels, Rikens or Southern Ways?
    None of the above. :wink:

Epsilons...

DOH.. I should've known. :?

damn those meshies look gorgeous bro!!!!
    :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu: :tu:

yeah, i've done that a couple of times myself!
    but, i was asking about those minus offsets rims, you know, the super wide and deep lips..
    are those new, or were they produced "in the old days"??

Quote Originally Posted by dzsuperboy
    but, i was asking about those minus offsets rims, you know, the super wide and deep lips..
    are those new, or were they produced "in the old days"??
    Well, the answer is "both". :P

You can still get Watanabe's new, and in very deep widths and negative offsets.

And there are lots of companies making replicas out there.

wow, can you tell me some websites where i can order those kind of wheels?? thanks!

takumiproject.com sells hayashi sport and watanabe wheels, but expect a high price tag. Any SSR dealer can get the mkI, mkII, and mkIII wheels, and Reverse Mesh still, also expect a super high price tag. On occasion rbwheels.com get's some nice older wheels, but they mostly deal in big bippu bling. Their wheels are used, but for a fee they can professionally restore any wheel to perfection.

If you aren't a purist, and don't mind having the same thing everyone else has, you can always get one of the recent wave of knockoff's. Konig has the rewind (watanabe rip) and the bbomb (mkIII rip). XXR (go figure) has a panasport rip, and the 002 is a rip of a rare and little known watanabe design from the mid '80s. XXR has a ton of older designs in low offsets, and they seem to have a new one every 6 months or so. Axis has the "OG" series of wheels, the Banzai (Hayashi sport rip) come in 15x8 and staggered 17", and they have a ssr reverse mesh rip now too that looks pretty nice, along with about 3 different other rips of older wheels too. You can try rota too, but the only old skool style wheel they have really is their watanabe style wheel that only comes in 13" 4x100. They do have a te37 knockoff (the Grid) but that's not very old skool.

Craigslist is a great site for finding dealz too! I find bargains all the time . You can't be afraid to get dirty and do a little resto work yourself though when you buy wheels this way.

Here's some examples:

- I bought these about 2 months ago for $100:
    15x8 -20 boyd coddington star1
    Before:

After:

- I bought these about 6 months ago for $100 also:
    16x8 +10 Ultra Mesh (BBS style)
    Before:

After:

And I bought these for $50 last year off an s130 at the junkyard. I dont have a before shot, sorry.
    15x7 +0 Enkei 92's

The wheels on the gold s13 in the background came off my brother's 510, I gave him $120 for them . They were 15x8 +20, also very dirty and pitted when I got them.