Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: When are early EVO's allowed in?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Newfoundland,Canada
    Posts
    33

    When are early EVO's allowed in?

    I know its not really old,but since it was never officially imported into North America,and since any 16 year old car in this shape is very,VERY rare where I live......









    Its a 1994 Lancer Evolution GSR,RHD,50000KM's and so far appears to be totally orginal and not messed with in any way.It rides/drives very nice and with about 260HP and only 2700LBS of curb weight has a LOT of grunt.Quite easy to shock modern cars in this one.

    Now this should be fun at Targa Newfoundland.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    78
    I guess a 'classic' or 'nostalgic' car is up to the eye of the beholder, while I wouldn't consider it classic or nostalgic yet, it perhaps is borderline on 'retro'. Yours looks to be an Evo II rather than the original Evo, it has the Evo II bumper and wheels at least. I can't quite make out the chassis number on firewall but if it's an Evo it will be CD9A where if it's an Evo II it will be CE9A. Being a '94 it should be an Evo II as they started production in Jan '94 where the Evo ended late '93.

    I don't think I've posted any pics of mine here yet, but I have a '91 E39A Galant VR-4 'Evolution' which I feel is almost 'retro' status, and perhaps 10 years away from being a classic or nostalgic car. Over here finding a clean tidy standard example is near impossible, which is why I basically stash mine away in the garage and only drive it some days.






  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Newfoundland,Canada
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by fuel
    I guess a 'classic' or 'nostalgic' car is up to the eye of the beholder, while I wouldn't consider it classic or nostalgic yet, it perhaps is borderline on 'retro'. Yours looks to be an Evo II rather than the original Evo, it has the Evo II bumper and wheels at least. I can't quite make out the chassis number on firewall but if it's an Evo it will be CD9A where if it's an Evo II it will be CE9A. Being a '94 it should be an Evo II as they started production in Jan '94 where the Evo ended late '93.

    I don't think I've posted any pics of mine here yet, but I have a '91 E39A Galant VR-4 'Evolution' which I feel is almost 'retro' status, and perhaps 10 years away from being a classic or nostalgic car. Over here finding a clean tidy standard example is near impossible, which is why I basically stash mine away in the garage and only drive it some days.
    Here where I live the average life of a new car is only 8/10 years.....soooo 16 year old cars are rare.

    Yes its a Evo2.

    I think we had the Galant here as a DMS Eagle,but I can't really remember ever seeing one.Your car looks nice.I plan on driving my Evo every day .....plus as much racing as possible

  4. #4
    Administrator JNC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    1,645
    moved to proper section
    -Matt

  5. #5
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,108
    I love both of your cars, especially the Galant VR4. Our rule of thumb is 25 years or older for that body style (ie, a 1986 Cressida is ok because that body style began in 1985). We choose do make that cutoff only because that's when most states allow historic license plates and classic car insurance.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Worst Covina
    Posts
    350
    Sorta on topic, but would it be a huge pain in the ass to register a pre-Evo 8 Evolution in California? Looking for one for stage rally and I'm not fancying the idea of expensive tires.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    maine
    Posts
    64
    a 1985 AWD dodge colt is the same thing. :roll:

    are those evos in newfoundland?

    clean air 24/7, the zinc days of salt kills and crazy lead batteries died in the late 80s. That evo should be around for awhile.

    in fact 1990-91 onward, some are gonna be surprised. As long as no new poison got in, like EGR generates, they'll stay good. :wink:

    It does add to the rarity at the 25 year mark now (1985). that realm was still more hits than miss when it came to keeping J-tin good and clean and strong.

  8. #8
    Administrator john's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoDelRio
    would it be a huge pain in the ass to register a pre-Evo 8 Evolution in California?
    Yup. 8)

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Newfoundland,Canada
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoDelRio
    Sorta on topic, but would it be a huge pain in the ass to register a pre-Evo 8 Evolution in California? Looking for one for stage rally and I'm not fancying the idea of expensive tires.
    Isn't there some sort of "off road" or "only for racing exemption"?

    Otherwise build a Mirage.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Newfoundland,Canada
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by boxer3main
    are those evos in newfoundland?

    clean air 24/7, the zinc days of salt kills and crazy lead batteries died in the late 80s. That evo should be around for awhile.

    in fact 1990-91 onward, some are gonna be surprised. As long as no new poison got in, like EGR generates, they'll stay good. :wink:

    It does add to the rarity at the 25 year mark now (1985). that realm was still more hits than miss when it came to keeping J-tin good and clean and strong.
    My Evo,the white one,is in Newfoundland.

    And what?

    The rest of your makes no sense to me.

Similar Threads

  1. Early Repair manuals
    By vdubjim in forum Toyota Swap Meet
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2015, 01:31 AM
  2. no commercial posts allowed
    By wigg1 in forum General Discussion, JNC News & FAQ
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-29-2012, 05:03 PM
  3. Early TX Nana Gem
    By Gem wrc in forum Isuzu Garage
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-24-2012, 03:17 AM
  4. early 80 l200's
    By brend0n in forum Mitsubishi Garage
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2012, 09:54 PM
  5. Early Toyota V8s
    By Shifty79 in forum Toyota Garage
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-06-2010, 10:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •