Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunny 210/310 Suspension Compatibility?

Sunny 210/310 Suspension Compatibility?

I own a 1980 Sunny 210/310 and was wondering what suspension, whether or not from another datsun/nissan or even a toyota, is compatible? I'm a bit of a Corolla Freak and was thinking about swapping the front suspension and rear springs for that of an AE86... is it possible (before I actually try it out)? Anymore info is greatly appreciated.

Oh and by any chance, what are the gear ratios on the rear differential? Will it hold extra power?

Thanks guys!

Re: Sunny 210/310 Suspension Compatibility?

Quote Originally Posted by TE72_Sunny
    I own a 1980 Sunny 210/310 and was wondering what suspension, whether or not from another datsun/nissan or even a toyota, is compatible? I'm a bit of a Corolla Freak and was thinking about swapping the front suspension and rear springs for that of an AE86...
    I wouldn't waste my time with the AE86 stuff. Brakes aren't really big enough to justify all the fab work involved. If you can get the complete front struts/brakes from a '79-83 280ZX they are a HUGE upgrade and a piece of cake to install. No real fab work involved. :tu:

Oh and by any chance, what are the gear ratios on the rear differential? Will it hold extra power?
    Nope. It barely holds the stock HP. :P

Try finding a rear axle assembly from a '78-82 510. MUCH beefier, and fairly simple to transplant. Common upgrade for B310 race cars. :tu:

Stock ratio should be a 3.90, as are most of the Datsun 4cyl cars. :mrgreen:

What about a 240's strut/brakes (they're easier to come across)? And isn't the 510 IRS? The sunny is a solid rear I'm not sure how difficult that'll be to transplant. Would a pickup rear do? Sorry I don't mean to be such a headache it's just that these cars are so rare to come across and no one really modifys them as much as Z's and 510's.

The late style 510 (chassis code a10) is not IRS.

If you mean 240Z fronts, that won't work on a Sunny because the king pin inclination is all wrong. You'll have a bunch of positive camber.. too much to sort out with camber plates or eccentric bushings.

If you mean 240SX, I think that can be done, but requires a lot of fabrication to get things to go together. At least as hard as doing an AE86 swap would be.

Like DF said, 280ZX stuff is common, cheap, and a very nice upgrade and the swap can be done with just the right mix of junkyard parts and very little fabrication compared to the 240SX or (probably) AE86.

I had 280ZX stuff on my 510, and it stopped better than my Sentra does with a 12" Brembo 4-pot kit...

And isn't the 510 IRS?
    As he said, the 68-73 510 is IRS. The 78-82 510 is 4-link live axle (just like a B310/210).

Would a pickup rear do?
    Well, it's the wrong style (leaf spring, not 4-link), and it has a 6-lug (not 4-lug like yours) wheel bolt pattern. :wink:

So, no. Not a good idea. :P

Sorry I don't mean to be such a headache it's just that these cars are so rare to come across and no one really modifys them as much as Z's and 510's.
    I've modified plenty of them, so ask away. :mrgreen:

Thanks guys...now the problem is finding a 280 or a 510 @ a junkyard. Lol. I think I know where a 280 might be. Let's see what happens.

@ TE72 - I think I recognize you from another forum. Your bro is MetalMonkey right?

I'm fallin more in love with the 210's. There's an 81' by my place, that I've left notes on the guy's car and been checking it out almost every other night. No response yet but hope for the right price, I can scoop it up and give it a good home.

Quote Originally Posted by Drive510
    @ TE72 - I think I recognize you from another forum. Your bro is MetalMonkey right?

I'm fallin more in love with the 210's. There's an 81' by my place, that I've left notes on the guy's car and been checking it out almost every other night. No response yet but hope for the right price, I can scoop it up and give it a good home.
    Yup, Ratsun! I don't know about metalmonkey being my brother, but he's definitely a 210 guy!
    I wish you luck, pal! Cars are a great addiction and if you can afford it and obtain a collection, more power to you! Make sure you post pictures though.

Thanks guys...now the problem is finding a 280 or a 510 @ a junkyard. Lol. I think I know where a 280 might be. Let's see what happens.
    Just make sure it's a 280ZX, not a 280Z. :wink:

You'll know because only the 280ZX has vented rotors.

Cool thanks for the heads up! What's the difference anyway?