OK, as promised, here is the story of the build on my Datsun Stanza Coupe.
Sorry for the poor quality photos, I had to scan them at work on a crap scanner (no scanner at home) as none of these images were shot on digital.
So…it starts in 1992. Yes, 1992. Long time ago….
My girlfriend at the time had gone off to the U.S. for 6 months work experience (in Rockland ME) and it was looking to be a lonely Christmas. We were getting around in a little Datsun 1000 that wasn’t far from dying when I spotted the Stanza in a nearby car yard. Liking the brand and also the unique shape, I paid the $3000 ($AUS) the salesman wanted and drove it away, slimy gunk in the coolant / radiator and all. It also had the sloppiest gear lever I have ever moved around in a car – half the time you weren’t even sure you were in a gear, let alone the gear you wanted to be in! :shock:
I guess with no girlfriend around I had some spare time on my hands and thought she might like an upgrade from the 1000 when she came back from the states. I was also living with my folks at the time and they were beginning to drive me crazy. I needed a project. So this is what I started with:
Everything except the wheels was standard – L16, 4 speed box, rust in the doors and rear hatch but the chassis was straight and cancer free.
Anyway, I drove it around for a while, fixing little problems along the way, waited till the girl returned home and then found out she wasn’t waiting for me, so NO car for her.
It would have been around 8 months after I bought it that I noticed it getting hot while driving. I checked the water level while out at the shops and noticed the dreaded bubbles. Bugger, head gasket time. While I was driving home and thinking about when I will be able to fix the head gasket, some guy in a van ran up the back of the car directly in front of him. Only problem, I was right behind him and had nowhere to go but up his arse!
Damage: Front bumper, bonnet (hood), grille, passenger side guard, apron, headlights, radiator, radiator support panel.
I got it towed to a panel shop where they straightened out the support panel and fitted a replacement bonnet, front guard and apron. I then got it towed to my parent’s house where it sat while I figured out what to do next.... :|
Next instalment coming soon....