Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1960 Mazda T600 light truck - Australia

1960 Mazda T600 light truck - Australia

After a 3600klm round trip to Victoria, I have just added this 90% restored 1960 Mazda TEA45 T600 light truck to the collection. It was previously on display at the Gippsland Vehicle Collection Museum in Maffra Victoria and was restored to this point by Ross Noble. Ross found two of these in 2003, one in Stratford and the other in Sale, rusting in paddocks. They were both used at the Sale RAAF base way back in the 1960s and were original Australian delivered vehicles. Let me just say that the condition of these two could only be described as basket cases. One engine was seized, the second had a broken crankshaft. Both diffs were seized and the bodies were basically beyond repair.

In 2005 I assisted Ross in purchasing a third T600 at the Mazford auction which provided several parts missing from the original two, plus it had a running engine. Restoration was able to continue, but major bodywork was required. It is a miracle that out of three T600s he managed to nearly make one, with thankfully some parts as spares but not a great deal.

Unfortunately Ross passed away in January 2009 and the T600 was taken over by his two daughters and son along with several other vehicles that Ross had restored. Earlier this year I was contacted by his son who advised that they had decided to sell the T600 so I made arrangements to drive to Stratford to inspect and hopefully bring the T600 home.

After a five day round trip it now resides in Brisbane and the finishing off can begin. There are still several parts I need to complete the restoration but it needs to join the ever growing list of vehicles in needing work.

I will keep updating the thread as work progresses.

Try the photos again.

Congrats Jon, great addition to the collection, will sit nicely next to those Carols! I remember reading about the Mazford auction in your magazine, I nearly cried at the low prices. It hurts living in SA sometimes.

Looking forward to seeing finished pics of the T600 one day. 8)

Cheers,
    Duane

What a great unusual restoration, baltosis (user id) in Greece may be able to assist with parts. I look forward to future updates.

Great find by a great mazda enthusiast and collector. Besides that, I think that an early T600, is a quite rare find inside and outside Japan. I ve got the parts catalag (RHD+LHD k360 and T600), so I can scan you some pages if you need any. I d really appreciate a photo of the licence light, so I can compare with mine as I am confused on that issue.

Nice, fits in nice next to the fire truck as well.. Will we see it at the all jAP DAY?

Administrator
    That is absolutely beautiful! I love everything about it, especially the two-tone pale green/cream. Such a period color. :tu:

Quote Originally Posted by rx7s2
    Will we see it at the all jAP DAY?

Wow, what an awesome little Mazda!!! Can't wait to see it in person at which ever Jap show you have it ready for.

Thought I would show pics of what Ross started with. Yes, the completed T600 at the start of this thread came from these three vehicles.

Unbelievable to think it turned out like it did, but the first two pics show RAAF units 3 and 4, with unit 3 having the rear canopy.

Ross is shown standing beside unit 4 in this pic taken in 2004 when Ross brought them both home to start work.

The last pic is the T600 purchased at the Mazford auction in 2005. The bodywork and chassis on the finished T600 is rebuilt from the first two, as this one was missing a lot of the body. This was only purchased for the running engine which was subsequently not used as one of the others was rebuilt.

It is credit to the skill of Ross and the others that helped him to get the restoration as far as he did. Whilst there is still a lot to do I want to finish it off as a tribute to Ross. Most people would have left them in the paddock as they were certainly a major project.

I know I would have walked away, but I am glad he decided to have a go.

What a rare find this is. Not that rare when everytime I looked in the rear vision mirror on the way home I saw it drifting like a hoon on the trailer.

Go the Mazda Piston Power.

Congrats Jonno...