Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For CROWNS sake -what's that say?...

For CROWNS sake -what's that say?...

...or...Translating a Book - Looking for Help

Any students of Japanese out there? Anyone do freelance tranlation services at an affordable rate? :wink:

I just bought a book off of Yahoo Aution Japan that I would eventually like to get translated. My wife tells me it is too difficult for her to do, so I thought I'd ask around and see if there were any suggestions from the audience. I know there are professional services, but I don't think I can afford them.

FYI - this is the book:

With the help of another friend, here is what we were able to translate so far:

Title: FIRST GENERATION CROWN DEVELOPMENT STORY
    Subtitle: Looking at Toyotas Car Manufacturing Production (?)
    Author: Yoji Katsuragi
    Chapter 1 - Crown development plan starts
    Chapter 2 - What will the concept of the vehicle be?
    Chapter 3 - Post war chaos and management crisis
    Chapter 4 - Labor distputes and special procurement from the Korean War
    Chapter 5 - Syling investigations using a metal model
    Chapter 6 - First chief of vehicle development examination
    Chapter 7 - Dometstic technology or technology partnerships?
    Chapter 8 - Issues with the ride and frame
    Chapter 9 - Suspension - An ambitious persuit
    Chapter 10 - Engine mount and powertrain
    Chapter 11 - Polishing the styling
    Chapter 12 - The battle between Engine Performance and Cost
    Chapter 13 - Completion of a Prototype and Test Drives
    Chapter 14 - Development of Master RR Model
    Chapter 15 - Kannon Crown completion
    Chapter 16 - After Crown - Export
    Chapter 17 - The great Chief Examiner and great Councilor

I can try to translate it. PM me or whatever you want to do. I've taken 4 years of Japanese. It might take me a while, since I have a job now, but I can try.

Thanks for the offer to help. I know this isn't the easiest of favors to ask, but it is something I would like to see done. I only wish I could do it myself. My wife is Japanese, from Japan, and although she can speak, read & write English, she says translating Japanese to English is hard for her (she says English to Japanese is much easier).

My reason for wanting to get this translated is there is so little written on the early Toyopet Crown in English. I know there isn't a big following for these cars in the western world, but there is a following and that's what matters. Last year I started up a Yahoo Group for the Toyopet Crown and I have begun a registry for the cars also. So far I have about 15 cars actually registered and in time I know I'll get more signed up.

Tomorrow I will snap some pictures of the first chapter. You are welcome to look them over and decide if you'd like to really try it or not. Then we can discuss it further... :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by MechSpec
    I can try to translate it. PM me or whatever you want to do. I've taken 4 years of Japanese. It might take me a while, since I have a job now, but I can try.
    Well, I went and uploaded photos (quicker and easier than scans) of the first chapter to my flickr account. You can check them out HERE.
    11 pages including a 2 page intro.

The samples below will take you there also... just click on them.

Hey,
    I did some work on it today since I had some free time. I'm usually a pretty slow translator. My translation style is pretty literal, so feel free to critique and correct as you like. I wasn't sure if you wanted me to post this here or on flickr, but it's pretty long, so I guess I'll put it here for now. So far I've only done the first page.
    Anyways, I'm glad I can help, it seems like a fun project.

Here's what I did today:

First Generation Crown Development Story
    ---Investigating the origins of Toyota’s car-making---

Introduction

The catchphrase, “At some point, it’s a Crown” leaves an impression of the Toyota Crown, the car that represents Japan. Domestic cars like the Celsior and Infiniti have a more luxurious appearance, but yet, only the Crown can claim to be Japan’s “Prestige Car.” The 9th generation Crown was announced on October 11, 1991, and with each period it has been refined; with an evolution that is amazing. The symbolic front grill has a moderate thickness, and with out destroying its traditional style, it is becoming the most important car in Japan’s domestic market.

The announcement of the first generation Crown was 36 years ago from now. From this first generation, the Crown has continually protected its reputation as the representative Japanese car; that major concept remains. Also, there are cars with history that rivals the Crown’s, but theirs doesn’t always have the some consistency. The ideology of the first generation has endlessly passed through the generations through today; an idea that exists nowhere else in Japan. Furthermore, even today, its status as the representative car of Japan’s representative car maker remains. It should be called the car that is the face of Toyota, a representation of the company that supports Japan’s prosperity. With the manufacture of a large number of cars, it exceeded cars like the popular Corolla and Mark II; without allowing any maker to follow in this class, it has continued to support Toyota’s profits.

Administrator
    Interesting stuff! The Crown name really has been around for a long time, but this writeup/translation is done so eloquently that it really makes the car seem special

Looking forward to the next installment!

Larry,

Thanks so much for willing to help with this and thinking of it as a 'fun project'.

I already find it fascinating to read the first page of the introduction and look forward to reading and learning more. The Toyopet Crown has become a passion for me in more ways than one, and I think your efforts in translating however many pages of this book as possible, will help enlighten Crown enthusiasts throughout the world (even if there aren't really a whole lot of us).

I think it should be just fine if you post the translations here, it seems you already have Ben hooked. Eventually I'll put it all together and post it to my Toyopet Crown Yahoo Group.

Thanks again, and looking forward to the next entry.

ok, so I finished the 2nd page. Let me know if any sentences seem awkward or the grammar is off. I might not have totally proofread everything. I pasted the page below:
    ------------------

Driving a Crown, it’s ok to say that you are regarded as a successful person. Toyota is aware of this, and continues to develop it; the Crown also exists as a barometer for the Japanese to show splendor and luxury. Therefore, the Crown itself, as the epitome of the Japanese car, is the sole influence on the Japanese view of a cars. Furthermore, the making of the car comprises the essence of the way Toyota Motor Company should be, I suspect.
    The first generation Crown wasn’t just a Crown, it was the beginning of all of Toyota’s cars extending through to today. That is to say, it is the origin of the Toyotas of today.
    How was that first generation Crown developed? To explain it, it’s impossible not to intensively present Toyota’s history as well.
    Looking to present this history as one half, I gradually put this book together after having continued collecting info for over a year. Of course, when I say “half,” I mean that I also have an interest in researching how the people from our father’s generation lived, what the cars of that time were like, and that possibly, I would find an interesting story. Therefore, the contents of this book may vary at times.
    This story (?) starts from about 40 years ago. It was 6 years after the disastrous Pacific War had ended. It goes without saying, but life was poor beyond compare to today, and to a young person of today, that time was like something you might see in a monochrome movie. From people’s clothes, their lifestyle, and moreover, the development of cars was different from today.
    However, Toyota has always kept the spirit of cars made in that era; one that still exists today.

Administrator
    Holy crap, that is some good writing!

:tu: Nice job Larry!

Translating this stuff from Japanese to English isn't easy, so even if there is any akward grammer I think we won't mind! :wink: