Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1981 Dodge Challenger aka sapporo project begins

My 1981 Dodge Challenger aka sapporo project begins

Might as well start a new thread. Looks like I have a bit of work ahead of me.

First to begin, what the car is.

It's a 1981 Dodge challenger with some real custom paint Has the factory turbo style wheels which I love, but will save for a box type lancer I plan on importing later this year. The car is a automatic with about 165k on the chassis. Engine might possibly have a spun bearing as the crank doesnt really turn freely. This car is also a automatic.

Since it has sat for about 10 years, the interior smells moldy and possibly mice have been in it. I will be pulling the dash out and cleaning the entire hvac system. I am going to toss the carpet as I believe a starion carpet will slide right in. I will also be tossing the seats and seeing if I can get a set of starion seats to fit. The rest of the interior I will steam clean.

The other big issue right now is it is a automatic. I just cant have that . I have a 5 speed swap from a starion ready to go. I havent got under the car to see what I will have to deal with for driveshaft issues, but the rest of the stuff I have experienced before.

Exterior wise I intend to do. I will be painting the front grill and entire rear section of the lights and in between the lights a bumperish matte black. I will be installing 14x9 konig rewinds which I am picking up in a few days. I also plan on taking off the side window louver.

As far as the engine is concerned. I am up in debate if I really want to do a turbo swap right now. I have all teh parts, and am almost finished rebuilding a g54b turbo engine, but I just want this thing driving for now. I can get the engine out of my 84 mighty max spx truck for pretty cheap and it's still in very good condition, so I may just go that route for the time being. I have a weber with adapter that has been recently rebuilt, plus I have a pacesetter header for it. Should free up a few ponies.

Just gonna post one pic up since most everyone has seen this in the should I thread.

Good luck with your project. :tu:

The louvers have functionality; one can drive with all of the windows down and the wind does not "buffet" inside the passenger compartment - it comes in and goes out, silently.

If you do take them off, can I have first dibs on them? I love spares.

Good luck too. Now i can see more Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger bought back on the road.

Before you start the project, can you or anybody else write some stories how Dodge/Plymouth and Mitsubishi are connected via this model. I wonder why the second gen Challenger is the Japanese make?

because chrysler had no cars asnd was in financial troubler. it was basically them splitting pu car models to sell under chrysler plymouth dodge. This car was also sold as a plymouth sapporo . or was it chrysler.. No idea why they sold it as a a challenger, but look at the next gen of challenger, were the fwd k cars basically.

Quote Originally Posted by kuasakuda
    can you or anybody else write some stories how Dodge/Plymouth and Mitsubishi are connected via this model. I wonder why the second gen Challenger is the Japanese make?
    firearrow knows a lot about these
    and oldcolt know a whole lot about just about everything mitsi

let's see if we can get them to talk ...
    -Matt

No time to do it today, but I'll try to post some info tomorrow. :wink:

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by kuasakuda
    Good luck too. Now i can see more Lambda/Sapporo/Challenger bought back on the road.

Before you start the project, can you or anybody else write some stories how Dodge/Plymouth and Mitsubishi are connected via this model. I wonder why the second gen Challenger is the Japanese make?
    Pick up Issue 2 of JNC mag
    http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/shop_ar ... ticle=0102

Well, I made some progress on the car today. I managed to pull the carpet, dash, and seats out. Gonna throw the seats and carpet away. Dash has a lot of cleanup work to do. Been spraying everything down with white vinegar and water. Gonna pull teh heater core and what not out tomorrow and clean out all the blower vents

I'm taking a break for the local car meet right now, but I will be getting the engine ready to pull tonight as well. I'll also get the transmission ready to be pulled as well.

I convinced my buddy who bought the last g54b turbo shortblock off me which he hasnt used yet to sell it back to me I will be picking that pu in the next day or so. I still havent decided if I will turbo this or not, but we will see.

some pics.

The main reason for getting rid of half the interior and pulling the dash

The carpet was soaking wet. pretty nasty

Dash out.

Well, I just met a great contact in australia and will be picking up a few adm goodies for the sapporo. I'm getting these below, plus I should have a delete panel for the side louvers soon

First off is the spoiler which is off sigma gsr but works perfect on a sap.

Then a set of early tails. I will rock these until ic an find a set of the latemodel tails. These are sitll much bette rlooking tan what I have right now.