Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cleaning aluminium engine parts on honda z600

cleaning aluminium engine parts on honda z600

so ive searched the net for different ways to clean aluminium and there seems to be 4 main ways;

1. good old fashioned scrub
    2. costic/acid cleaning
    3. dishwasher
    4. take it to the man with the glass/bead blaster

ive tried good old fashioned scrubbing and my cam box came up pants, took too long and not achieving results.

i put some the cylinder chamber in the dishwasher and that seemed ok but mum wasnt happy.

ive just been out and got some mr. muscle oven cleaner and its done the trick nicely, had to take precautions like not swallowing it and stuff but it worked well.. ive used some wire wool on it afterward to get it shinyer.

although this is working it took a while and just isnt perfect, would anyone recomend glass blasting? someone said it damages aluminium..?

also the surfaces are still rough and it would mean a lot of sanding down to get perfect, just wondering what the best soloution is?

the cam box was caked with shit and ill upload a pic so you can see how well its done so far..

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae13 ... G_9021.jpg

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae13 ... G_9022.jpg

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae13 ... G_9024.jpg

http://i965.photobucket.com/albums/ae13 ... G_9025.jpg

let us know what you think i should do..

Really nice, but i dont take it to dishwasher :lol: I think now your meals tastes like motor oil :lol:

i thaught that so i tried cleaning the dishwasher out before my mum got home, just squirted a bit of soap in there.. terrible mistake! haha

Hi Mr. Sploosh:

What I've been wanting to try on aluminium is Soda Blasting. Of course, I'm thinking of the at-home frugal method.

If you have access to a compressor and blasting gun (self-contained model with reservoir is good), try loading up some baking soda and giving it a shot. The Soda won't harm the aluminum, it brightens it, and it will rise away with water. This method will create lots of white dust, so it helps if neighbors aren't about.

Caustic chemicals are a problem because they tend to darken aluminium. I learned this when I attempted to clean my Porsche's transmission with some harsh degreaser. So, it's now a candidate for a future Soda experiment.

Cheers!

sounds like a plan there, what kind of gun would i need? (could you link one off google so i know what you mean)

i would give it a shot..

let us know what you think coz ive got some broken engine parts that i can try stuff on before i use it on my good bits..

cleaning

Try dipping these parts in soapy boiling water it does wonders.
    Also you can try OVEN CLEANER (spray can) but there you have to mask anything you dont want cleaned (engine stickers of any kind) spray it and let it sit for 15 mins when power wash it.

Other options include ultrasonic cleaning and dry ice blasting. I have an ultrasonic cleaner myself which is great for removing plating, but I'm less thrilled with using it to clean aluminum parts, because it can discolor the aluminum.

I've heard dry ice blasting is the absolute best cleaning method, but machines start at $20,000. Perhaps there is an outfit which can do it for you in your neighborhood.

thanks for all the input guys, ive been pricing up taking it to a shop and get it done and it is fairly cheap for one item but ive got almost 3 engines and its going to be pricey so i think ill look into buying one of them shot blaster things that was mentioned 3 or 4 posts ago, ill let you all know though when i do it

I took my parts to an engine rebuilder and he hot tanked them then I painted all the parts with high temp alum. paint, after that I cured them in a steel grabage can at about 250 degrees, fill the bottom with sand or gravel as a heat synch, get it at the temp you want then insert parts fora while to set the paint.

Hey Sploosh!

Sorry for the delay. Below is a photo of the media blaster that I use. I've seen various lower cost models from tool suppliers. Check out Machine Mart in the UK. They have a siphon-type blaster at a reasonable price.