Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: msd6a?

msd6a?

hi i know i ask alot of questions but you guys seem to have lots of answers and i greatly appreciate the help i find on this forum

now for my question
    does msd6a replace the stock ignition module (ignitor) or do you still need it. the reason i ask is ive seen some photos floating around the net with 3tc's w/ msd6a and i couldnt see the ignitor anywhere. i found mine and the wiring is mangled, and i was debating msd6a. what to do now :S

I have never been able to use the VR pickup AC voltage output from a pre-1985, non-computer controlled timing distributor to trigger an MSD box directly. The signal is not strong enough and needs something to convert it, either the stock ignitor or a GM HEI module.

so i will need to retain my ignitor then? all of this information is new to me. this is the 1st car ive ever built.. or attempted to build

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve
    I have never been able to use the VR pickup AC voltage output from a pre-1985, non-computer controlled timing distributor to trigger an MSD box directly. The signal is not strong enough and needs something to convert it, either the stock ignitor or a GM HEI module.
    FWIW, there are lots of Datsun guys ditching their ignitor when running a 6A/6AL. Not sure what Nissan did different but no one has reported any ill effects from it? In fact, you're the first person I've heard of that did have a problem with it? Kooky...

But since I haven't personally done it, I'm inclined to agree with keeping it. :tu: :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    FWIW, there are lots of Datsun guys ditching their ignitor when running a 6A/6AL. Not sure what Nissan did different but no one has reported any ill effects from it? In fact, you're the first person I've heard of that did have a problem with it? Kooky...

But since I haven't personally done it, I'm inclined to agree with keeping it. :tu: :mrgreen:
    I've done it for years with L28 distributors...just dump the black box on the side of the distributor and hook the leads directly to the mag pickup wires on the MSD box. Works like a charm!

However, the Toyota signal output is quite weak and won't trigger the box directly...at least with the 18R-G, 20R, and 22R/RE distributors I've tried it with.

I have had it on my 22r no problems but u got to use a 12v coil always worked fine no problems same on both my 1.8s

I've done it for years with L28 distributors... However, the Toyota signal output is quite weak and won't trigger the box directly...
    Well that explains it. Thanks. :mrgreen:

I have run the MSD on many 3TC's all without the ignitor. Most set ups I have seen on the 3TC have ditched the ignitor.

Quote Originally Posted by 73te27
    I have run the MSD on many 3TC's all without the ignitor. Most set ups I have seen on the 3TC have ditched the ignitor.
    any chance you can explain/simplify how to do so for me?