Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Celica TA22 LT Project Diary (pics updated 17/6/2011)

Celica TA22 LT Project Diary (pics updated 17/6/2011)

Hi guys, I started to do some bodywork restoration on my celica starting March of 2008 and completed it by September of last year.

I bought my celica in 2001, this is my first car, so took some time to really finish her up. I'm not into the show and shine kind of car restoration, so it's very much like race car for the road motivated rebuild, the car rebuild brief is as follows:

1. Tuned engine (I want a race engine) but at least fast road engine should do, with cams, bigger carbs, bigger valves, high compression piston, head ported and polished, tubular extractors, throw out the air cond compressor, electric fan. Making it a very responsive engine.

2. Suspensions and braking system to suit canyon carving, additional fitting of rear anti roll bar, and track days, I love to drive through the back roads to my parents house, highway is a big no no for me.

3. Bodywork to be rust free, and to have some period correct bodykit and also the wheels to be something old skool looking. Replacement of all the window, door rubbers and weatherseals, from the back of the trunk all the way to the end of the hood.

4. Refreshed wiring and electrical systems, brighter lights, period correct switches, and restoring the original gauges and meters, replacement of tail lights and indicator light.

5. Interior to be race car simulated as possible, racing harness, full bucket racing seats, throw out the rear passenger seat, no radio, no air cond, no power window, no floor insulation tars, no carpet, refurbishing the cracked dash top, of course having a roll cage is my ultimate aim, but in Malaysia the Road Transport Authority makes having a roll cage in a road car a pain in the S, so not at the moment.

6. Refurbishing all the chrome parts, garnish, grille, and badges. Still looking for some badges.

7. All the underbody rubbers and bushes to be replaced with polyurethane ones.

So that was roughly what i had in mind when I started my celica project and soon i'll post the pics how this brief became a reality. So keep and eye on my thread.

Here is a picture of my car back when I bought it in 2001

Regards
    Raj

I like that. Good stuff man.

hey Raj..finally you made up here...can't wait for more pics... :mrgreen:

Hope you gonna enjoy the following the thread Glides, and nice to see my old buddy here, I couldn't have completed some part of my rebuild without bullitt's help, he is the guy to look for when you need those hard to find parts

Regards
    Raj

After driving daily since 2001 and about 2 years of inactive duty when I went to Australia, the car really became as everybody say old piece of junk. So in the March of 2008 I had enough fund to start my Celica's project and sent her to my trusted Mechanic Mr.Mie (we just call him Abg. Mie he's a all toyota freak) to pull her out in bits and mount the bare body on a trolley or chassis dolly of some sort. This would make life more easier for the bodyshop guys to undertake their duties.

My previous engine was a 2TC with twin 40phh mikuni, it ran nice but then slowly valve seat started leaking and overall the engine needs a rebuild.

Just look at following pictures to get an idea how was the Celica's condition once we started to pull out all the parts and bits

After beating out all the floor tar insulation a lot of rust and odd patch job started to reveal itself

The petrol tank was previously rust repaired so the tank wasn't too bad, but the spare tire well, and the small labyrinth on the left of the trunk used too collect a lot of water when it rains, and thus rusted badly

The previous owner had fixed a sunroof so the poor patch job done previously after the sunroof was removed started to peel and break the body fillers.

The camber arm (is that the correct name?) started to rot away from the badly rusted front crossmember

The chassis section right in front of the engine crossmember mounting were badly rusted and gave away.

And more floor and chassis rust, lots of, lots of holes on the floor pan.

I'll update a little more later, trying to write this thread while my lunch break in my office, so I have limited amount of time.

Regards
    Raj

Alright, after pulling out all the bit's and pieces from the car, it's time to build the body dolly, and my mechanic did a good job of it.

One bracket was welded on the front tow points

And another one on the rear part of the chassis

Finally chassis dolly done.

Regards
    raj

Alright coming to the engine, as my rebuild brief in the first thread says "Tuned engine (I want a race engine) but at least fast road engine should do, with cams, bigger carbs, bigger valves, high compression piston, head ported and polished, tubular extractors, throw out the air cond compressor, electric fan. Making it a very responsive engine."

So these are some of the go fast bits I had collected for my humble old 2T:

Mikuni 44PHH on Mikuni intake manifold for 2T

BRD Racing 296 degree Camshaft

BRD Racing large stainless steel valves 45mm Intake & 38.5mm (or was it 38mm, I can't remember) Exhaust

BRD Racing double valve spring

BRD Racing hardened pushrod

Hardened performance lifters

ARP rod bolts and I also have the flywheel bolts but not pictured here.

I wanted to keep the engine upgrade as very much an oldskool type of modification, I could have demised the pain going through to purchase all the performance parts for the 2T from America and just plonk in an EFI engine like 4age. But being my first car that I bought when I was 21 and driving around with the 2T for almost 8 years without failing, I fell in love with the 2T, it's a bombproof engine, it never broke down on me when I was travelling long distance and in remote areas. I decided the engine deserve better treatment than just throwing it out. And just love the burbling and high rev wailing of the twin sidedraft carbs.

But the plan didn't go as I wanted for the engine side, because look what I found in the next post, coming soon.....

Regards
    Raj

So I suppose to rebuild my 2TC with all the bits and more from the previous post, until I found this piece of kit for sale, got the engine from the other end of Malaysia, Sabah which is part of borneo island. The engine is in a very sorry state, but I wanted the engine because it has some tasty bits in them:

Weber 45 DCOE
    310 degree intake and exhaust from KENT Cams (custom grind)
    TRD double valve spring
    TRD large intake and exhaust valves
    Stage 2 port and polished head
    TOM'S exhaust header
    88.5mm oversize TOMOE high compression piston
    TRD flywheel
    TRD high volume oil pump
    Fully balanced bottom end
    Modified distributor (but not too sure what was exactly done)

Yep looks like the engine was taken out of a deep water well

I got rid away with the engine fan, I'm using electric fan now.

WEBBBEEEERRRRRRRR!!!! They sound beautiful at 8500rpm, once they were serviced, cleaned and with some sweet lovin and care.

The TOM"S extractor

A little history about this engine, it was built in 1978 as a production category race engine, and then used for fast road application. it was pulled out in 1985 and stored in a workshop in Sabah until I purchased it in april of 2008.

So I think the engine fitted my aim as I wished. It's time to clean and service the engine.

Regards
    Raj

Ordered the dual dcoe universal linkage kit, and tried fitting it to the 2T-G manifold, had to rethread the bolt holes on the manifold previously used to hold the balance tube, to accept the thread size of the pivot ball joint given with the kit.

The reason I got rid away with the top mount WEBER cable pull linkage kit is because first of all, I had all the original carburetor linkage from my accelerator pedal, having the cable will look to snaking around the engine bay and making it look cluttered, and this type of push rod linkage gives more optimal individual carburetor adjustment and balance, and finally of course a very JDM look.

Regards
    Raj

Alright so the rust repair officially started. Starting with the sill.

Obviously these sills left and right trap lots of water when it's raining, and they prone to rust very fast.

Regards
    Raj