Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum and my te72..need help!

New to the forum and my te72..need help!

just bought a 81' te72 coupe with the 3tc 5spd and need some parts. i have search around but couldn't find the rite answer. my question is...

whats the difference from the ae70 and te72? any interchangeable parts like taillights and headlight conversion...

also would the ae86 springs swap over to my te72 with no mods? i'm thinking about buying a set of eibach to drop my car correctly as its original springs has been cut.

i need both fenders, hood and other parts but this is what i need first...

btw, names Chris 20yrs old from the great state of Alaska!! lol... will post pics of my car whenever i have time.. i drive a built 84' toyota pickup and just picked up my te72.. my dad also got a weird looking tercel dat looks like a mini, i think 81-83, somewhere there... looking forward to hearing from all ya'll... any info, tips n trip would be greatly appreciate..

The ae70 and the te7* parts will interchange provided that u get it from the same model ie sedan for sedan coupe for coupe
    Yes ae springs will work on the te chassis they are pretty much the same chassis u are better off getting ae struts as u can run the better brakes off a ae

Yes, to run AE86 springs you have to swap in the whole strut assembly. The stock ones won't work with AE springs because the top hats are different. Most other parts from that generation Corolla will work as long as they are the same body style.

Springs will work with ae tops but u are just better running the ae struts for the better brakes

so i should just buy brand new ae86 struts and buy whatever springs i want for the car? what brand do u guys recommend or run? it will be my DD as i'm not gonna go for power yet but looks... sorry, im a noob, my first small car to built... i've only worked on toyota trucks for 2yrs...

u cant buy new struts they are assy with the spindals on them when u go to the parts house u get cartiage(spelling?) u have to ebay it up of find one in the junk yard

so i could just get the ae86 top hats off and run the lowering springs? and what u meant was get the entire spindle with brakes and everything rite? can u tell me what i need to get so i don't have to do it twice and lose money...

What your looking for is the Strut Housing. This is what the strurt cartridge slides into and the brakes and wheels bearings attach to. The housing and brake/bearing spindle are all one piece and bolt at the top via the strut top hat and to the steering knuckle at the bottom with two bolts. I recently had to do the same thing for my Cressida when I had to chase down a strut housing because of a bearing failure that ate my spindle. Just find a wrecked AE coupe and you should be fine, as long as it still has it's front suppension.

Administrator

You need everything in this pic except for the cartridge and spring. You can buy an aftermarket ones (I used a Tokico shock and RS-R spring). This was from a Cressida wagon but the concept is the same.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/blog/20 ... s-install/

te'are up too 82 i belive. ae's are 83, the difference is engines and cross members. the T and A are engine codes, te cars came with 3tc's, AE cars came with a 4ac in them, which makes it a big step easier to do the swap to a 4age.

i live in BC Canada, i have a hood and some spare fenders if your into making a roadtrip lol make an offer they need some tlc but arnt completly rotten