Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After the 1200, the 1600 SSS

After the 1200, the 1600 SSS

Hi folks!

Yesterday I bought a Datsun 1600 SSS!

I'm very happy with it!

The car is a 1971, about 60.000 km's, but reals, I have with me all the receipts, and the last time it went on the nissan dealer was in 1995 with 57.300 km's, to make a revision!
    One owner, I'm the second and always garage, and the only part with rust is in the gas, magnificent!
    I think it was a great deal!

It's grey, the painting is the original, all the leather, tires (I have both, special and series)) completely new, new exhaust, and some extras...

I made with it 400 km's...From Barcelos to Nisa...it consumed 35 euros, but at the speed of 100, 110 km's\h.

The car will be restored like my Datsun 1200, but it will just happen in summer. For now, I will test the mechanical components, and after it it will be painted...I think I don't have much to do...but Mr.Vitorino has the final word!

Hope you like it, and if you can tell me some things about this model, or some detail that is wrong on this one, fell free...because the SSS model is completely new for me!

Here are the photos...

Cumps.
    Mário

Re: After the 1200, the 1600 SSS

Quote Originally Posted by datsunbat
    The car will be restored like my Datsun 1200... Mr.Vitorino has the final word!
    Woohoo! :tu: :mrgreen:

Hope you like it, and if you can tell me some things about this model, or some detail that is wrong on this one, fell free...because the SSS model is completely new for me!
    Information on left-hand-drive SSS models is very hard to come by. If they share commonalities with the right-hand-drive versions I'd say at most the seat covers are wrong. Almost everything else looks to be spot on. You need to move that grill badge to the lower left corner, not upper right. Also, most SSS versions had a different grill (has a hump in the center). Yours looks more like the Deluxe grill. As you probably know, those gauges above the shifter are not original. Also, there should be an ashtray in the back of the passenger front seat, but that could be unique to Japanese SSS's. The RHD SSS has a different gauge cluster, but I don't think they ever used it on the LHD so you're probably good there.

If you can post some bigger photos somewhere I'd love to look it over and see if I can help? :mrgreen:

Administrator
    Congrats on the purchase! If this comes out as nice as your Sunny it'll be awesome.

Hi again!

Thanks guys!

Datsunfreak: Thanks for the explanation! I'll make the changes and later I'll put some photos of the parts you talk. OK!!! Now the photos are bigger...and clearer!
    the grill is the original of the car, perhaps a different version...don't know, but I have one grill like the one you describe...I'll mount it later...
    the gauges are not original, but I'm searching for the right console to apply, not an easy item. I'll change it later too!
    I couldn't found the ashtray...perhaps as you say, a especific extra among countries. Thank you!

Ben: I'll make the same process, but this one is easier!!! _I suppose Mr.Vitorino has not not the same amount of work with this one!!! eheheh!!
    Thank you!

I can't be at home without thinking in driving the car...so this afternoon I went into litle ride to make a better apreciation of the vehicle condition!

It has got some work to do...not much, but I want it like its brother the 1200!

Here I let you some pictures of its status...not much rust, just some details!!!

Hope you like it!

A new painting needed...

The symbol need to be relocate...

This symbol is switched...

Some rust, I think its because of the gas...dion't know, but in this place...Mr.Vitorino will make his appreciation...eheheh

Little restoration...

New brushes and decolour the brushes...

The mirror not the original...

all the interiors are like new...no intervention needed...

After the tryp...

Doors...

Spare tyre in good condition!

Almost nothing to do on the back, the exception is the symbol...

The engine compartment, need an extra clean. All the tubes were changed and mechanicaly is excelent...

some more detail to improve!

The hood needs Mr.vitorino!!!

And what about this extra??? ehehe!

This rubber is missing!

Need more atention!

Some pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by datsunbat
    Little restoration...

Those should be centered on the vent, so it needs to be moved slightly forward if possible.

Almost nothing to do on the back, the exception is the symbol...

Yes, it's supposed to be under the tail light, not over. The Datsun badge between the tail lights is supposed to be on the trunk where the SSS badge is now. :tu:

How did that factory air filter assembley fit, without using a single master cyld?????

Hi friends!

I've been very busy on the last month, but now I'm back...and the car was waiting for some kind of spoils...Last weekend started...

datsunfreak: You're Right...I've never realized...when it goes to the paint job I'll move it! Thank you! and the badges too...thank you! I'm not very familiarized with the model...just now I'm learning...thank for the tips!!!I enjoyed a lot!!!

Datson510: Because the oil glasses are shorter than the normal! Here in Portugal we have both models! With one glass, two glasses big, the 1600, 1300 and the 1600 SSS with small glasses! Thank You.

All the water tubes were changed...

2 rubbers for the hood, because they were just missing...I'll put it when the paint job finished...

2 new rear wheel cilindrers...already changed...

The Mirror is an original, and was cleaned by my friend Luís Martins! It like new...

The new brake pump will be instaled next weekend, because I'll made an upgrade to brakes sistem...40 years and the car stopped for 15 years...I think is recomendable...just for safe! Brakes are important...right!

Gustavo, a friend of mine gave me the air filter...awesome!

New brushes, ahd the wiper arms were just cleaned!

Before...

After...

the water squirts were cleaned and treated...I think I made a nice job!!!

After...

Second cleaning...

And the final result!

My friend gave me the toolkit...just a little cleaning!

And the final, I started to care the grill emblem...

Before...

the chrome taked care...

The cleaning before the painting...

The red first...

then white...

and finally black...

final aspect...

Hope you enjoyed the works as much as I...next weekend more developments!

Regards
    Mário

Fantastic car! Incredible find!

Hi mates!

Finally I’m free for work on the car…I was expecting this moment anxiously…now the restore!

gtr fan: Thank you. Now some work to be done!

During this week I made some upgrades, parts, brakes, radiator and other stuff…

I’m in a hurry; I need to have the car ready, at least painted for my sister’s wedding. She has a great taste, she chosed the car to lead her to the church…so…I need to make some work as much as I can…but I think it will be quick! I hope so.
    Last week, I had bad luck, first it blows a water tube, and second I have lost the Wheel lock! Now all troubles gone and I return to work last Monday. I didn’t know that wheel locks have special codes and stuff like that, the lucky was that the fabricator is portuguese
    Let’s check the photos…hope you like it!

The car in the garage when I changed the tubes…because they were two, a small ones…

The famous…

The fend...

I change the tubes and made an upgrade, taking care of the parts.

All went good and no water lost…

The fuse box had a little mistake, no fuse on the blades and horn section, it was direct…it could be very dangerous, but now it’s solved

Then I went on the details restore…

The engine-room lamp…

before...

After…

Water tank…

Before…

After…

The tension regulator…

Before…

After…

Then, with all the water system out I cleaned the radiator and paint it.

Before…

After…

The lower protection…

There are many more details to do…but no rush on it…

Then the brakes…I enjoyed a lot do all the work by myself, it’s very pleasant, no one to distract and full concentration…

I bought new drums, new brake pads, wheel cylinder and all the other parts…

Then work…

Before…

Testing the parts…

Parts treated…

And finally both sides restored…

The next step is the exhaust system, you can see in the Picture how bad it is…

I bought this gear box kit to put it as soon as I can…

Hope you enjoyed the photos…I enjoyed the work I’ve been done!

After work, nothing like a ride to make a test.

Regards
    Mário

Love your work :tu:

Hooks