Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1979 Mitsubishi Galant Lambda (Super Touring)

1979 Mitsubishi Galant Lambda (Super Touring)

Hi Guys,

I'm new here... well not new to the site. I've been visiting the Site for more than a year now but I just registered a while ago and thought I'd share a few things about my car.

I have a 1979 Mitsubishi Galant Lambda (Super Touring)

Here's a picture:

I love this car. She's been very good to me. I named her Nemo.

I'm not good with mechanics but I can do minor fixes. The only major changes I did (well actually had a mechanic do the hard parts--mostly things I didn't know how to do myself) were swapping the Carburator (Toyota 4K) and Diferential (Toyota Lite Ace).

I broke the diferential (and the reason is very shameful so I will not tell you that I was racing) and thought I'd like to replace it with a tougher one but would still fit so I got a Toyota Lite Ace diferential.

As for the Carburetor, it was leaky so I though of buying a new one but the price is too high so I got a 4K Toyota Carb and an Intake Manifold that fitted (which until today I don't know what car it came out of) with the carb and engine perfectly.

Here's a picture of the new carb in the engine:

Sorry, I don't know how to resize the picture, but hey, that should be detailed enough.

Also, another major repair was the gas tank. When I bought the car, it had been sitting for almost a year with very minimal fuel in the gas tank and so it rusted from the inside. I'm not sure how but it did, and it clogged everything up (which also contributed to the leaks in the original carb and clogging) so I had it split into to two, scraped, then I thought the 60 L capacity was a bit too much so I had them remove 1/4 of the tank so now it's around 40 L.

The most number of people I had in this car was 8 (including me)--me, 2 in the passenger side, and 5 in the back seat, and all the bags stuffed in the trunk. It was pass midnight and and there were no buses at that time to get us back home so I just asked them to hop in (of course I couldn't just leave them there) and we travelled 4 hours straight up a mountain to Baguio City.

Here's a picture of all of us (exept for the one holding the camera. I'm the guy with the long curly hair):

Anyway, I'm going back to my hometown tomorrow and that'll be a straight 12-hour-drive accross mountains. I already have tuned the engine up a bit (like changing the oil, spark plug, contact point, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, etc) and I think that should do it. Wish me luck.

This is my first car and I have no plans of selling it. I'm going to (slowly but surely) upgrade it, start with the engine perhaps, then the body. I'll be posting about that in the future.

If you have to reply, please say something about the Carb. I would like to talk about the Carburetor (4K Toyota Carb) I installed. Do you think its a good idea or what?

Thanks for reading.

Re: 1979 Mitsubishi Galant Lambda (Super Touring)

Quote Originally Posted by rockerben143

The most number of people I had in this car was 8... and we travelled 4 hours straight up a mountain to Baguio City.
    Is this why the girl behind you looks so mad? :mrgreen:

Yes!

I think so... no, I KNOW so. Haha! :lol:

They were complaining about their legs getting numb.

Nice car! I'm not familiar with that shape of Galant Lambda, I'm used to seeing the notchback style. It looks very good!

Well, I'm jealous. Very nice looking Mk I. I would kill for your bumpers and am really digging the wheels. Love the color of the car too. We didn't get red ones over here.

Glad to see somebody else has the decency to retain their quarter window louvers too. :wink:

The downdraft Mikunis certainly can be twitchy little f___ers. Alot of guys over here in the States went with Webers or Mikuni sidedrafts as replacements/improvements. If that 4k Toyota carb is working well for you, who cares that it's been made to fit the car. (?!)

I'm curious though, what intake manifold did you/your mechanic use that fit the Mitsubishi engine?

Welcome to JNC. Have a safe trip. Really nice looking car! :tu:

Supernice Lambda you have there...I also own one at Quezon City...

I think I saw you at the Baguio Cathedral passing by Wednesday morning,Right?

I was about to take a pic of your car but was too breatheless after taking up the

stairs from Session Rd.

I think I saw you at the Baguio Cathedral passing by Wednesday morning,Right?
    Yup that's me Bulaklak. Thanks!

I'm curious though, what intake manifold did you/your mechanic use that fit the Mitsubishi engine?
    Honestly FireArrow, I don't know. I went to this Auto Supply Shop trying to buy the Original Carb but was too pricy so I went back, took the original intake manifold, got a 4K Carb then just manually went through their intake manifolds looking for something that would fit both ends and just forgot to ask the person at the counter what car the manifold came out off.

BTW, I'm back from my trip and my car did the 18 hour drive up and down mountains like a breeze. I even changed the wheels (borrowed from my dad's off-roader) for a bit of off-roading back home. (I'll post some pics soon)

Thanks guys!

LOL... you drove all the way to Baguio with the car fully packed?? Super mini jeepney eh?? That's a crazy road!!

Car looks great!!

-Robert

Welcome to JNC kababayan!
    Keep on posting! :tu:

Thank you!

Thanks guys!
    I saw two other lambdas today... an Mk1 and an Mk2--both are black.
    Nice!