Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a car and its title

a car and its title

what exactly is a car's title?

i am in the proces of buying two cars from the usa and import them to the netherlands but the shipping company will only transport cars if they have a complete title.
    the title is the paperwork belonging to the car?

Re: a car and its title

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    the title is the paperwork belonging to the car?
    Yes. It is what we use here in the US to designate ownership. It's an official state document with the car's info and the owner's name. When one is sold, it is filed away by the state and a new one issued with the new owner's name. :tu:

The shipping company needs the title to prove the cars are not stolen. :wink:

Yep, to you those are the homoligation papers.

Some states don't issue Titles for older cars, so be careful.

so, without the title a car is a useless piece of metal?

other than being stolen, what can be a good reason for a car not having a title? and, will i be able to check a vehicles identity somewere? if i have a VIN number? can i get a new title if the paperwork got lost somewhere?

most states have a form you can fill out called a lost title form

usually it states that if they find the owner and they give it up that they will issue a new replacement title for it

The rules for having a title vary from State to State. Some states don't require a title for an automobile if the car is over 10 years old and will accept a "bill of sale" as an alternative. Other states require a title for registration regardless of how old it is. I have an old Mitsubishi with no title in Nevada. Without the title it can never be driven on the streets.
    You can obtain a title from a title company such as Broadway Title- www.broadwaytitle.com but it can usually cost several hundred dollars for their service. Broadway Title will, at the very least, need a notarized bill of sale to start the title process.

The title is issued by the state and usually entitles the owner to pay property taxes on the vehicle. It would be required for getting registration, which is putting plates on the car so it can be driven on public roads.

Most titles in the US have the bill of sale or a fill in area on the back side to transfer ownership of the vehicle from the current owner to the buyer. Places to fill in name, address, date of sale, purchase price... Never use white out on one of these, that's the first good way to end up with a car without a title. Because only the last registered owner on the title can get a duplicate of that title to fill it out again without white out so you can file for a new title with you as the owner. Previous owners are usually unmotivated to help new owners after the money has already changed hands.

If the area for transferring the title is filled out wrong, whited out, or there is some problem, and the previous owner dies before the car is registered, this will also cause problems with obtaining a valid title. Always fun for buying a car, spending years fixing it up, then finding out the paperwork has problems and everyone who could fix it has died of old age before the car was put back into roadworthy condition.

You might be able to get by with a typed up bill of sale with everyone's signatures on it. It may need to be notarized (witnessed and stamped by a registered notary public).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    so, without the title a car is a useless piece of metal?

other than being stolen, what can be a good reason for a car not having a title? and, will i be able to check a vehicles identity somewere? if i have a VIN number? can i get a new title if the paperwork got lost somewhere?
    Eric, you REEEEEALLY need to tell us what state you are buying the cars from. That makes all the difference in the world.

Administrator
    Also, if the title has a lien on it, that means the owner took a loan to pay for the car, which means the bank technically owns the car until the loan is paid. Then the bank will issue a lien document that's similar to the title.

If the title has a lien, it will show a bank name/address somewhere below the "owner's" name. In that case, make sure you have the lien document as well.