Thread: Future Classic?

Future Classic?

Of all the Honda range, the first gen Insight, and maybe the new CR-Z, come close to an assured future as classics. Perhaps. I wonder how the dead-end concept of gas-electric hybrids will be viewed in the future?

On the Tomei Friday:

See ya! Neko.

hmmm. i'd say most "Si" models will be more classic than normal. problem is there are so many out there.. but then again, same thing with pintos and first gen civics and beetles. people just used them up and put them to pasture..

Re: Future Classic?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuroneko
    I wonder how the dead-end concept of gas-electric hybrids will be viewed in the future?
    I think you answered your own question. They'll be viewed as a stop gap dead-end concept. The no longer needed "bridge" between power from gasoline and power from electricity.

I'm more a bit concerned about the batteries in those. Expensive to replace, and you can't exactly toss them aside when you're done with them...

Administrator
    I think the Type Rs have a slightly better chance of becoming classics .

Not to mention the S2000, Prelude, etc.

Re: Future Classic?

Quote Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuroneko
    I wonder how the dead-end concept of gas-electric hybrids will be viewed in the future?
    I think you answered your own question. They'll be viewed as a stop gap dead-end concept. The no longer needed "bridge" between power from gasoline and power from electricity.

I'm more a bit concerned about the batteries in those. Expensive to replace, and you can't exactly toss them aside when you're done with them...
    The problem of batteries going bad and being extremely expensive to replace is going to kill off allot of insights. I bet most will just go to scrap before they are able to have any classic status.

The original Insight is certainly a LOT more exotic that the CR-Z, with its unique engine & lightweight body structure. Alloy wasn't it?

I think they have some magic in their own.Have people seen the K swaped insight :mrgreen: .One never knows perhaps people start swaping them with amazing engines; or perhaps the throw them away.Only time will tell

I would not surprise me to see people hacking new improved batteries in the future.

I generally hate rechargeable batteries as most of them are proprietary. I have lot of gadgets from the early 1990's that no longer work, because batteries are no longer available. I hope there are more common unified standards in rechargeable batteries, soon.

Quote Originally Posted by tkmedia
    I hope there are more common unified standards in rechargeable batteries, soon.
    No doubt. :roll:

On GM's Volt they won't even let anyone see pictures of how it's battery is assembled... :P

If necessary; for hybrids, at least there is some hope, as it may be possible to make it run only on petro, and not hybrid mode if the battery is bad.