Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese Cars on film?

Administrator

Japanese Cars on film?

Tosco_Power's revelation that Magnum PI actually featured a burgundy with silver hood Datsun S130 got me thinking... what other TV shows featured the cars we all love?

I know of a red Toyota 2000GT that was in an episode of Hawaii Five-O (one of the best shows ever in my opinion)

A gold 2000GT was in a UK show called The Ugliest Girl in Town or something to that effect.

Of course, Pulp Fiction had the little white Honda Civic that got T-boned by a Camaro, perhaps later reincarnated as the Wolf's silver NSX.

Another red S130 was in Boogie Nights

that movie with The Rock ans Stifler, the name escapes me at the moment, had an old Land Cruiser that plunged over a cliff.

Toy Story had that old Toyota pickup pizza delivery truck

another animated movie, Open Season, also had what seemed to be a Land Cruiser.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head right now... Anyone else?

Ben,
    At the moment I can think of a movie that we all have probably seen at least 5 times: Back to the Future which was released in 1985.

Over the years there has been an increasing amount of old (relatively speaking) Japanese cars in the background of that movie.

Here is my short list of noticed cars:

1974 Datsun 260Z (orange with skinny bumpers--appears in multiple scenes at the beginning of the movie with hot girlffriend)
    1984 or 1985 Toyota Supra (light blue and later style taillights--pretty new at the time--this one also shows up in multiple scenes and at night when the Delorean comes back to 1985 via the movie theater)
    Yellow 1st gen. Honda Civic
    Green Datsun B210 hatchback
    The new black Toyota Truck which was a gift to Michael J. Fox at the end of the movie.

Some more of my favorites from way back:

The Bionic Woman (Lindsay Wagner) drove a silver Datsun 280Z (either '75 or '76 by the bumpers) in tht show and she was my dream woman back then. How funny.

Then came Charlie's Angels and my father had a black and gold Cobra II so my loyalties went with the blue oval for awhile until he redeemed himself and bought a brand new burgundy '78 280Z in February of 1978.

The Incredible Hulk --he does a bad thing to the poor silver '73 or '74 Celica while changing the tire in the rain. This sequence always got repeated in the opening credits. Shame on the Hulk.

The movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High features a brown '79 to '81 Datsun 280ZX hardtop with four spoke alloys and the cloth tombstone buckets. The car is filmed at night when slimy record store salesman takes Jennifer Jason Leigh out for a date.

There was an old show I think it was called McMillan and Wife and in one episode a Datsun 240Z (orange) is sabotaged on a road rally--shame on them for destroying the Z.

Also in Boogie Nights don't forget the old Celica parked in the driveway before the orange S130 2+2 gets to the party.

That's all I can think of for now.

Administrator

Re: Japanese Cars on film?

Quote Originally Posted by ben
    that movie with The Rock ans Stifler, the name escapes me at the moment, had an old Land Cruiser that plunged over a cliff.
    I believe that was "The Rundown"

Also, check out this site, it's basically IMDB for cars:
    http://www.imcdb.org/

Well I can probably think of a ton but here are a few off the top of my head.

James Bond - You Only live Twice - japanese spy car was a convertable 2000GT, only two ever made both were for the movie. Also countless 60's japanese cars with a couple of american ones sprinkled around

Original Gone in 60 Seconds - tons and tons of 60's and 70's japanese cars and trucks, too many to individually list. Just don't cry over what they do to a 70's mazda dealership.

Mother, Jugs and Speed - Bill cosby, Harvey Kitel, Rachel Welch, 70's comedy about ambulance drivers, lots of 70's japanese cars in there

Wedding Singer - I think I saw a couple in there, I know there is a 1st gen MR2 and I think a supra

Cannonball Run - who could forget the subaru the japanese team was running, there was also a 280z if i remember correctly. Also at the end of the movie at the harbor there are a couple of 70's imprt trucks in the parking lot, I think a 720 and a hilux

Running Scared - 80's version with billy crystal - at one point in the movie when gregory hines takes his girlfriend into his apartment there is a 80 - 81 black corolla sport coupe in front of them, I remember this because I have a car the same body style

I will have to dig up more and post them here, thanks guys this was fun

I just remembered one more

Dazed and Confused - when they are out driving around in the GTO they are going through neighbor hoods and they tell the kid to chuck this bowling ball out the window. It lands in the back window of a late 70's corolla, still makes me mad to think about it.

In the 1980 movie 'Gloria', a Datsun 810 was used as a getaway car.

Administrator
    Yes, how could I forget Back to the Future and Cannonball Run! It was late when I posted, at least that's my excuse

I've been meaning to watch the entire original Gone in 60 Seconds forever... I saw about half of it a while ago, didn't catch Mazda dealership part, but I can only imagine the horror... from what I saw, the destruction of all the classic American iron, especially the Lincoln Continental, was too much to bear already! :cry:

I just thought of a couple more:

On That 70s Show, the family has an orange Corolla in their garage

In Speed with Keanu Reeves, the bus slams into a Z car being loaded up onto a flatbed, launching it over the cab.

And not exactly a classic, but Last Action Hero has probably what is the only chase scene involving a Toyota Previa equipped with a machine gun.

I forgot about the original 'Gone in 60 Seconds' film. There is a shot of the original Eleanor going in the direction of Nissan U.S.A.'s old HQ building in Gardena only the name on the building read 'Datsun'.

In honor of that here is my '82 visiting Nissan's U.S.A. HQ building in March of 2005. I snapped this photo before heading out across country to South Florida:

There is an episode of Knight Rider that has a female investigative reporter getting blown up by an attack helicopter (read: news helicopter with gun strapped to one of the legs) in a white S30 Z car at the beginning, probably a 280 (I don't remember the scene that well). I think it was the first of the two part Goliath story arc, but once again, I'm not 100%. I saw it on Sleuth network a few months back. In the background of The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift during some of the parking garage scenes, there is an AE86 Carrolla, and one of the characters mentions racing for a Hakosuka skyline but we never actually get to see it.

daddsun,

I went to your photo site and found this photo

See the good looking guy with sunglassess on the left? That's me sitting in my 1500 getting ready to leave!

On topic: The Incredibles animated film has a lot of older imports, including Datsun Roadsters

To get a complete listing of cars in movies go here
    http://www.imcdb.org/