Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ...I know it's not a 'classic'... swapped mitsu starwagonvan

...I know it's not a 'classic'... swapped mitsu starwagonvan

yes, it's a 1990...(nowhere near vintage, in my mind) but I love this forum, and really don't know where else to post this (the 240sx guys'll hate it... and the mitu-loyal? we'll see:

Cody bought his second starwagon after a short-lived love affair with a panel version that was too far gone, and my craigslist-addiction happened to dredge up this far cleaner 'vanwagon' (passenger van)

so we've loved these little vans for some time now... but admittedly, the 105 hp motor and slushy auto trans makes for a 'limited' driving experience.

it's no secret we like Nissan/Datsun products. the KA is bulletproof. (it's a truck motor!) 'nuf said. we found a roached out rare nissan 'vanette' at pick'n'pull that had a Naps-Z24 motor and the cable-shifted trans with the correct bellhousing to bolt right up to the KA series!

Cody then bought a complete KA24de (twincam, 2.4L 155 hp) out of a 1995 s14 240sx. (well, he bought TWO... the first? very little salvageable parts even for a complete rebuild) new clutch/PP, lightened flywheel, aluminum radiator (AE86), petal assembly sourced form australia & modifed for LHD chassis, modified toyota van manual trans cable shift assembly, custom motor mounts, trans mount, radiator mounts, relocated battery, P/S res, overflow res, homogenized wiring harness (retaining stock cluster, Cruise control and idiot lights.) a ton of little brackets and tweaky mods later.. (A/C will work as soon as we source the right fittings and recharge!) it all seems to fit as though it was meant to be!

(oh yes, & it's been lowered & painted 'delica' style w/ the black upper two-tone)

...the exhaust is about two and a half feet long, so far, BTW.

drivetrain test:

http://www.vimeo.com/10145674

pefect shop mule!
    the usa spec front bumper gives the impression of a pouting lower lip
    -Matt

They've got those big bumpers over here in Australia too (or similar). I do have to ask the question, why not just put an EVO motor in it. Not because it's Mitsu, just because it would be easier to fit, maybe?

Nice job, I can over look the foreign donk...

Quote Originally Posted by 75wagon
    I do have to ask the question, why not just put an EVO motor in it. Not because it's Mitsu, just because it would be easier to fit, maybe?
    Hector made it seem like the KA24DE was a pretty easy swap...

Administrator
    Nice, love the box vans!

Hector made it seem like the KA24DE was a pretty easy swap...
    What motor did they come out with in the US? Here in Australia they had a single cam 4G63 in them. All that would have had to changed over is the head. I can't see the Nissan motor being an easier swap then that. But if it was easy why not? It's obvious from Hectors website that he is capable of things that others may not have such easy access too.
    I love the box vans too, I'd love to have an EVO powered one...

the vans originally had a 4G64 motor. we never got a 5 speed version, and goodluck finding a RWD transmission that bolts up to the 4G63 that is setup to be cable-shifted!...(but if there is such an option, please let me know...I'd love to do a 4G63 in the next one!) hence the KA...not to mention the price (500$ motor/wire harness/ecu & all extremities)

so yes, a mitsu motor would have been nice, but this one made more sense budget-wise (pick-n-pull parts & a 500$ used motor)...but of course like with most odd-swaps, you're nickel-and-dimmed to death on every hose/fastener/belt/gasket!

we're planning to we-work the rear bulkhead/firewall this week, and I'll post picks of the sheetmetal work!

we never got a 5 speed version, and goodluck finding a RWD transmission that bolts up to the 4G63 that is setup to be cable-shifted!...
    Well that answers my question then. Now it all makes sense.
    Did you get the commercial vans over there (no rear windows or seats)? They are dime a dozen in Australia, you can still buy them new (or at least up till recently you could). The gearboxes out of them would fit, but if you didn't get them then that answers it?

Now that I know why, it's probably a sensible swap.

cool!

I wish I never sold my Delica