Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My new van

My new van

Hey all, I'm back in a Mitsi, and this time a '82 Delica with only 90,000 km on the clock. Tis pretty rad and will make a awesome roadie mobile. Pretty stock at the mo except for some pioneer speakers and headunit. It's so good to have a sterio!! I've been listening to AM for over a year in my cars! :lol:

Anywho, here's some pics:

The middle row seat backing folds up and over so that it can face the rear row which is a pretty cool trick. Good for rolling bussiness meetings! :lol:
    Going to try and hook the volume switch for the headphone jack up to the rear speakers so the people in the back can control their own volume.

damn that thing is clean! Thats a very cool old van, love the color too.

The interior in that is pretty cool, the middle seats remind me of a bus or soemthing hehe.

Administrator
    Congrats on the purchase. That thing is awesome! I love how the one box vans were so versatile on the inside.

Thanks guys. Just one question. What's this "one box" van thing? I've heard it a few times recently and am wondering what's the deal.

Anywho, in other news, it's got a new pioneer headunit to go with the pioneer 6" speakers. So good to have music again! (as aposed to AM radio for the last two years).

And a pic for pics sake.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by solidstripe
    Thanks guys. Just one question. What's this "one box" van thing? I've heard it a few times recently and am wondering what's the deal.
    It's a term to describe the shape of these vans because they just look like one big box, lol. Others of the ilk are the Toyota Hiace, Nissan Vanette, etc.

In contrast, Japanese call cars like the Toyota bB or Nissan Cube "2 Box"

That makes sense - it's like a shoebox on wheels! :lol:

Just one problem I've found is that it locks up the brakes quite easily which was a bit scary the first few times. And yesterday it slid for about 3 seconds (which at 40 kph is quite a way). Are my brakes too touchy or is this what vans do in general? It usually happens when rolling up to intersections in 2nd gear, just tap the brakes and she locks up. Anything I can do to make it better?

Cool van! You don't see many that old or in that nice shape.

As for the brakes, it's hard to say for sure. Is it the front or rear wheels that are locking up?

Any chance it's your tires? Maybe they are just old and dry rotted.

Man, that's one boss ride you've got. I love the interior.

Cheers dudes.

Yeah, just the rear wheels locking up. Kind of used to it now, look all causal scretching down the road while everyone else freaks out... :lol:

Tyres aren't that flash, just budget kelly 70's or something, but surely shouldn't be doing it this bad? Any way of de-senseitising them?

Also, had a bit of a totu on it today. Wired up the rear speakers. It now has 4 pioneer 6"s + the pioneer headunit which sound nice and crisp. Thought I'd chuck out the old filter assembly and chuck a pod on. No room for a ram-flo under the seat. New oil breather too. Behold the glory of the 4G62b!!

Here's the old Fuso turbo, I mean air filter box... :lol:

A few questions on that too as it had two hoses running to the exhaust manifold. Anyone have any idea what they are for? I figure it's something to do with helping with cold starts or back pressure but no idea really.

my old mighty max use to lock up the back brakes super easy. I'm guessing you need to make sure your front brakes are actually engaging. Maybe the master is bad or some bad brake cylinders?